Off Topic Nippissing west arm

bigred

Good day all. On short notice I am heading up to a cottage on the west arm of nippissing this weekend. Only experience I’ve had up that way is ice fishing the main lake. Any help with where to go, what structure to look for this time of year etc. My plan is cover some water with bottom bouncers and harnesses and go from there. Thanks for any input.

Mepps blue fox 3 or 4 cant go wrong ive bassically only ever used those up there and we smash em hard everything bites em cast em out count to 6 close bailer and yell fish on

I spent a decade (2000 - 2010) fishing the west arm, your approach should net you some results.

A simple jig with a night crawler is hard to beat, also give some leeches a try if the bite is tough.

Good luck!

Assuming you're targeting wallys, in my experience your best bet to find them is around "in-shore" shallower structure, rather than the big main lake stuff this time of year. Main lake reefs and rock piles are good come July into August.

given the cold water i would focus on river inlets and river mouth and adjacent bays and try jig/minnow combos
we fish alot of northern water in spring and walleye activity is typically best in the river, at the mouth and in the shallow water around the mouth. we sometimes use spinner rigs but typical vertical or cast up current and bounce along bottom. Often a very light bite so stingers can be helpful. As Bassboy has noted the open water reefs, islands and rocks wont get active til July.

I’m heading up that way for a week the last week of July any tips for that time of year greatly appreciate I’ve never fished nippising rented a cottage north west arm near Lavigne

We used to go there every year. Usually 1st or 2nd week of June. They could be a bit late making the exodus this year though. We had incredible luck on this shoal bouncing worm tipped jigs with stingers. (46.2303909, -80.1945399) Loads of Pickerel, the odd Pike and a few massive Sh!theads. Good luck and post a wicked report!

Attachments

• E1257BC9-C524-4BF9-A3FE-23483437F098.png
    E1257BC9-C524-4BF9-A3FE-23483437F098.png
    530.9 KB · Views: 47
@Teddy69 are you going to Mashkinonje Lodge? If so we are there the same week and depending on what species you are going for I could give you a few tips. Been going up for almost 10 years, the guy who used to own it, who now owns Paradise Cove (another really nice place and great hosts) is a great guide as well if you need one, mostly Muskie, but he does all species.

@Teddy69 are you going to Mashkinonje Lodge? If so we are there the same week and depending on what species you are going for I could give you a few tips. Been going up for almost 10 years, the guy who used to own it, who now owns Paradise Cove (another really nice place and great hosts) is a great guide as well if you need one, mostly Muskie, but he does all species.
I’ve got a cottage booked at Graceland cottages

I’ve got a cottage booked at Graceland cottages
I don't know that part of the lake as well, Warren Bay is good fishing, but for walleye we usually use bottom bouncers with a slow death roll hook on a flouro leader, works well up there.

I can’t help you with west arm, I haven’t figure it out yet due to lack of time, but we are 20 minutes to the launch in Sturgeon and 25 to Lavigne so I’ll be working on it this year. I have fished the lake extensively on the east end/nand south Bay Area. At the end of may, beginning of June the 10-15fow range off of rock piles, reefs and islands will find you a lot of fish. We mainly troll harnesses behind bouncers or if the shadfly are up we’ll use slow death hooks behind them as someone else mentioned. I will stop just off a rock shoal in the evening and set up shop. We use ball heads and twisters with a bit of worm. Pretty simple stuff on Nippissing. I have a boat full of tackle, and I’ve been fishing it for years and could’ve gotten by with one small Plano 3500 and not much else. I don’t know how applicable this is on the west end, but my experience with Nippissing is that If you find em it’s not hard to get em!

Last edited:
my dad just sold his farm in Lavigne ,it was on duck creek. I have fished that area alot the last 20 years. The pike love spinnerbaits and xraps. The walleye were mostly caught on worm harnesses ,jigs or j7 rapalas. The bridge area by Lakair has always been good to us.

@bow slayer : Does Lakeair camp still have a large camp ground, fished there years ago. I’m getting so old can’t hardly remember it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks