Niagara River

eberbob

In years gone by, I spent many late season/winter's steelheading the The Big River. You understand what that means the 1st time your standing on the bank drifting. Eddies all over, fishing pocket water and learning about deep water fishing.(And whatever you do don't get in the river!) A big fish with the currents there is tough to overcome. Right now I expect conditions even better than normal with no ice flows to contend with. Has anybody fished there recently??

Check with the members on OFN (Ontario FIshing Network), a few of them have been going.

@HTHM mentioned he had an open seat earlier this week and he was going to hit the Niagara. A few locals said the river was stirred up like Pea soup with zero visibility. All this rain plus winds blowing up river has stirred her up. Did you get there this past week Albert?

I promised my wife that I wouldn't fish the Niagara when we bought the boat. She grew up in Queenston on York road and recalls many experienced fishermen that never came back from a trip on that water. One was a cousin back in the 60's. When my wheels were good we would hike down and back up, it was a killer then I wouldn't even think about that climb today. The best thing about the river is you never know what is going to hit your line, from a Smallie to a Steelie, I don't remember a skunk day. Just be careful there.

@WhatsthePoint, I grew up on Old #8 on the other side of St. Davids and almost lost a friend fishing just below the power station. He slipped on the stones going down to the river and only saved himself by stopping on the 1 foot ledge at bottom.

You may have been neighbours, she grew up in St. David's on Old Hwy 8 near cons #3. I just asked her the address, they didn't have one RR1 NOTL. L0S 1J0. The mailmen must memorize everyone's name out there. I don't know your age but she lived there until the early 80's. PM me maybe you know the family.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks