newbie pike question

kennyfish

I'm new to this forum and would like to say thanks to Stomp and all that post,lots of great info. My son and I tried Pottahawk yesterday not much there so we went to Bluffs and got 17 jumbos just south of the green marker. I caught a 28 inch pike also and was wondering if they're good to eat ?

Kenny,

Welcome aboard and congrats on the catch. I like to eat pike. You have to clean them differently than other fish, but IMHO, it's worth learning how to do.

You should be able to find a youtube video on how to clean them (or ask Duck Soup; he's cleaned a few over the years).

Yeah, kennyfish, its definitely worth learning how to fillet them. I usually release pike caught in summer but in the spring I actually prefer pike over walleye and perch. Once you learn how and practice a little, filleting a pike is a breeze. I often keep pike 2.5 -3 pounds for eating but most people prefer them around 4 pounds because they are a little easier to fillet with larger bones. Once they exceed 5 pounds its probably best to throw them back. Check the recommended fish consumption data for Long Point Bay.

Thanks for the great advice,cleaned with help from youtube and 8 meals per month are safe.Cooked the perch first and the 3 smaller pike filets last for a taste test.Everyone liked it.

Back