Newbie Needs a helping hand.

JetSkins

Friend offered to take me and my son out tomarrow out of Dover marina. 40 some odd foot cruiser. Me I am a avid river shore fisher and also new to the north shore area ( Normandale ) He is new to fishing all together.
Any way looking for some advice where we should try our luck? Depth? Map locations?
So far I have been using pick rigs from shore. This setup ok off shore?
Any help would be great.
P S love this forum!

Good choice on the 40ft boat.. more than adequate for the winds that usually kick up on Lake Erie, I was down at Dover last Saturday off the pier, the harbour and channel were chocolate milk and the muddy water extended out into the lake for some distance. What are you aiming for?

If it's perch look for 10ft of water or so with weeds. No reason why you can't use a pickerel rig on a boat :) Really no hard and fast rules other than if you drop anchor and the perch don't hit within 15 min or so keep moving. Other than that listen to your VHF radio.

Don't be surprised if you get into some smallies ( out of season right now) and you may get into some chunky rock bass as well.

Good luck!

Woolley's Point just west of Dover has produced in the past but watch out for the rocks along that shore. You want to know what you're doing in there, especially with a boat that size.

Thanks guys Ya too bad its such a beast of a boat but hey I ll take the ride. I let you know how we made out .

I'd love to know how the fishing was. Want to get out to Dover asap. A pickerel rig is just fine. I usually change the hooks to a small snelled #3 or #4. A hook on a line with a sinker, that's about as simple as it gets. Now they call it dropshoting. Same old hook, line and weight used for 100's of years, but now I need to buy a Dropshot hook, weight and rod.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks