newbie help

Nater12

hey guys i have never trolled the great lakes ever and im looking to get into it. Im going to start off with dipseys for now untill i buy riggers but i know very little about it. How much line should i run from my dipsey to my bait? what is the best baits to run on dipseys? spoons? also what baits work well in what colors? do i need a certain rod for dipseys or will large spinning outfits work? and how deep will dipseys run? sorry if some of the questions sound stupid as im absolutly clueless when it comes to this thanks for any help

A bad day fishing beats a good day at work1

When you purchase your dipsey's, there will be a chart in the package let lets you know the amount of line needed out to get to a desired depth. Usually 4-5' of line is needed from your dipsey to the spoon, body bait or worm harness.

Nater12
those arn't stupid questions ,there are a great bunch of guys on this site with a lot of valuable information that I am shuer they will share with you ,we were all there at one time , unfortunatly I do not run dipsies so I am no help to you there

John R

I personally run 8' behind my dipseys, better to buy some leadcore and have it segmented at 6 or 7 colour, than 30 ft. of line than another 3 colours so you can let it all out later in the season............

Blastr

To run dipsies well, you need about 6' - 8' of line and a rubber "snubber" between the dipsy and the lure. The key is that the leader can't be too long or you wont be able to reach the fish to net it. Heavy monofiliment or fluorocarbon is best for this piece(I think I use 25# mono).
In order to eliminate stretch in the line and make the dipsies release properly, you need to run braid on the mainline (or copper or something else with zero stretch), 30# power pro is probably your cheapest bet. A line counter reel is best to set your line out repeatably. The spool needs to be almost 100% full to count accurately so most guys fill the spool with monfilament backing and then 150 yard of power pro to save some $$. A purpose made dipsy rod is best but I think a XH trolling rod would work okay too; I don't think the spinning set ups are going to work.

I know Angling Outfitters has reels all spooled and ready to go and will package them up with rods, dipsies and snubbers for a reasonable price. Try and buy two exactly the same so it's easier to read them side to side. Black or clear dipsies are the most popular for walleye. It takes a while to get the release tension adjusted right but a little work and you'll have them figured out.

I've run dipsies on smaller lakes using a 7' medium-action baitcasting setup with 20# braid. Worked out alright - can give it a try until you get set up with more suitable tackle. To estimate amount of line out, I count it off by 'pulling' ling from the reel in about 18" increments. The rod obviously bends right down.

Tried using a spinning setup a couple times out of necessity and while it did work, was far less than ideal. Hard to keep control of the line as its going out and difficult to count out the line.

The way I was taught was the length of the leader should be the length of the rod minus the length of the snubber. Put another way... leader length PLUS snubber length equals the rod length. It has always worked good for me. Nothing gets the heart pounding faster than the sound of a dipsy reel SCREAMING as a 20+ pound salmon hammers the hell out of it. We lost one last week that I would have given a days pay just to have seen!!! Two of the hooks on the trebble were bent straight. Thought we had Moby Dick!!!8D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks