new way to prepare your walleye or perch ceviche

chefboyardee

here is something in a totally different direction and healthy too try making ceviche with your walleye. take 2 pounds fillets cut into thin strips. add the juice from 12 freah limes add 1 large red onion fine diced and 1 clove of garlic. combine all that in a bowl and put to the refrigerator for 4 hours. the acid in the limes will cook the fish. stir every hour to ensure the fish gets all cooked by the lime juice. after four hours squeeze the fish and remove as much of the access juice as possible. take 6 -8 roma tomatoes and de seed them and finely chop the tomato flesh and add it to the fish along with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. or to your taste. then add a 1/8 cup of chopped cilantro and served with tortillas or saltine crackers . you can even put this on top of a salad if you want .

ceviche.jpg

yes sir i am, been at it 30 plus years now lol no one in there right mind would do it for a living lol. before all the glamour with the food network. evenings weekends mothers days fathers days xmas and very other god for saken hallmark holidays haahaha.

Love it. The fish is cooked, just not with heat the acidity of the lime finishes it. Just as cured and smoked meats aren't "cooked".

The texture is that of cold shrimp.

Eating raw fresh water fish is not the best idea unless you flash freeze it for a period of time to kill any parasites--but impossible to do with noncommercial euipqment.

LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY,I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER BEEN SICK FROM IT BUT A GOOD READ AND INFO DEFINITELY . GONNA USE MY FROZEN FISH NOW

FROM THE SAME ARTICLE

now that I’ve freaked you all out, here’s some good news: Actual illness from parasites and such is pretty rare. I’ve known guys who’ve eaten fresh raw salmon for years without getting sick, and raw Pacific salmon is one of the fish with the highest incidence of tapeworm and seal worm infestation.

What’s more, you can vastly improve your chances of avoiding parasites in your fish by killing the fish quickly when it comes overboard, bleeding it, and gutting it ASAP. This last bit is the most important because virtually all the parasites hang out in the viscera of fish, not the meat. In most cases, the meat gets tainted because when the fish dies the parasites panic and burrow into the meat.

I think I'll stick to my usual methods of cooking my fish which has never killed me, at least not yet. :LOL:

Yep, didn't know that about freshwater fish. Learn something new everyday for sure. Come to think about it I don't think I have ever had freshwater fish ceviche, saltwater many times. I have never like sashimi, sushi yes but not uncooked bait.

edit: after reading the article I think I'll be passing on the sushi too. I'll stick to veggie California rolls.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks