Off Topic New to using a boat house

Outdorman

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I have just secured a boat house at Marina Shores. I've had slips before but never a boat house. Is there any idiosyncrasies to renting a boat house that I should know about?

thanks in advance

Don't store anything you don't want getting wet or floating away on your dock. Sometime the fluctuating water levels come up enough to wash things away. Oh, and watch out for the Swallows and their nests. They make a nasty mess. My trailer is on that island facing the boat houses. Are you in the large or small ones?

We're in one for a 19 footer, so I guess a small one. I've heard about the birds, is there anything you can do about this?

Cool, I am in front of those slips. Nothing really keeps them out. Some people put up netting to prevent them from flying through and nail strips on the rafters.

now why would you think I have empty beer cans........lol. I have a travel cover so I should just throw it over and no need to button up all the snap.

thank you very very much, !!!!

To "deal" with the birds under our awning, we used simple tin foil left slightly crumpled anywhere they might make a nest where we didn't want them too. They don't like the feel of the tin foil under their feet

make sure its tied up so it does not pull to one side as water drops. Then gets wedged under dock and fills with water as levels rise. have seen a number of boats with back corner stuck under and full of water. Some put vertical 2x4s to stop the boat from getting under. I've centered the boat by bungie to rafter in the center or a rope to a pulley with a weight.

I bought some ginseng shade covering and cut it out to fit my boat house opening.I Hold the bottom down with a couple bungee cords. Its heavy but lets some light and wind through. Keeps the Swallows out and doesn't flap around in the wind like poly tarps Three years old now and still like new. Spray for spiders early, they can cause more of a mess later in the summer than the Swallows. Hope this helps.

If they got in, my grandfather used to just knock the nests out of the rafters and into the drink eggs and all. But that was way back when Archie Bunker's words of wisdom didn't offend anyone 🤷‍♂️
Thats how my Dad (icemaker) used to do it as well, every spring the swallows would nest,,, out come the stick and hook, bye bye birdies. did that for 50 plus years in a boat house at Norms Bayview then changed to Marina shores.

should I be concerned at all that there are no walls between the slips in the boat house? Can I leave my rods and fish finder or should I be hauling all that out at the end of the day? Does anyone at Marina Shores lock the door on their boat house? Again with no walls seems kinda pointless.

Some have cupboards and cabinets, again secured as to not float away, that you could store your gear in. We've been there 4 years and to my knowledge, hasn't been any issues with theft. I'm sure you could speak to Ang or Robbie and ask if you can put something up to make your boathouse secure.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks