New to the site and to trolling big water

Hello everyone I'm new to the site and I am new to trolling erie I have bought a couple trolling rods with lead core and now I'm hoping to collect tips and advice from you fellow anglers to make my trips out a blast. Thanks all I'm excited to explore the site and meet some people
welcome aboard Irish

Feel free too ask any questions, most people here are very helpfull . You may have to adjust there tips too your style of fishing.

In my opinion ....most important equipment is : GPS (handheld or perminant) & a marine radio ( I use handhelds since my boat isn't big enough for great lakes and last year i fished in 6 different boats)

The majority of my fish where 50 / 50 leadcore / dipsydivers (I use the deepdiver 107 in purple or black)
generally when i run body bait behind leadcore I use a stobe orange/gold spoon as a flasher 5-7' infront of lure

I am a firm believer in using line counter reels (my pref. is Okuma ...and although magna pro are ok (general rod rell combo 100) i think the convectors are best bang for $ (85$@SAIL) I started out with just dipsys rods with line counters, and bought 1 or 2 new reels every year until every set-up has a line counter reel

I wouldn't rush out too fill tackle boxes with lures (even though i bought lots from ebay) you probably already have lots of body baits from pike, bass, and other fishing practices that will work fine . but if you do........cotton cordell Ripplin redfin (silver/blue, silver black, fire tiger perch), bomber long A (blue flash), Berkley flicker shad (perch fire tiger)
also did well with Sebile Bull minnow (orange black)

Spoons ....my favorite are : Silver Streak, Northern king, Dream Weaver, Moonshine
My goto colours are: BlueBerry Muffin, Greasy Chicken wing, Frosted Yellowtail, Nascar, Pink panties, Orange Pear Popsicle, Atomic Melon & bloody noise (moonshine)

I am still new too planerboards...and have yet to master proper rigging and release's yet...missed lots of fish and dragged several...havn't landed any live ones yet!

Good luck and Happy fishing!
P J

If you live in the area of Woodstock or you are looking for something to do, take a drive to Angling Outfitters... West of Woodstock on hwy2... They have all the baits to get you pointed in the right direction and in whatever budget you plan to run... Same as the rod/reel combos.... The choices are endless... The best advice I can offer is to kinda make up your mind what area of the lake you wanna target primarily, and zone in on those types of baits... Eastern end of the lake is generally where you find guys using a tonne of harnesses mixed with "Rinowskis" as you move west in the "elbow" area, it seems to be the guys throw everything but the kitchen sink at them but if it would work, I'm sure it would go too... I use harnesses here as well as "Riplin redfins" and I have better then average results... Now if you get on the south side of the point, you get into more currents and it seems like there's way more "junk" to pick through... This is where the guys tend to run either spoons or Husky Jerks and speed it to try and deter the silver bass or sheeps but I've recently heard that silver bass is incredible in the smoker... I'm gonna have to giver a go....hope this helps a bit, there is so much information and strategies out there, it just seems to be that you learn what people are doing for the area you're fishing and try and bend their ear a bit and see what they're doing... Walleye fishing is great when the fish are firing... But it can be frustrating as all hell when you can't figure out why the guy within eye sight of you is moving his net so much and yours hasn't got wet yet....

@Envy1, Silver Bass are great panfryed in butter or battered or breaded and deep fried too. After 2 days they turn fishy, also if frozen they will turn. But fresh they are as sweet and mild as perch from the lake to the pan. When the Nanticoke Hydro plant was running we would boat a hundred in a day exactly this time of the year. You could catch unlimited numbers in the 18" range, but then you had to clean them and I never liked them frozen. I was told they are just as good out of deeper water in summer. When they are on fire they will hit anything including a bare jig head.

Brought home a handful of silver bass one day filleted them and baked in the oven with a couple different types of breadings and coatings.Was pleasantly surprised at how good the feed was ....gutted one and filled it with stuffing, onions etc for a Jamaican pal of mine and he said it was very good he even ate the eyes haha!

Welcome
Just be open minded, and persuasive. If you start with one or two set- ups, just put effort to in and I am sure that you will be successful. Questions you have will be answer on this site

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks