New to hunting the unit

Badbuzz

Hey All!

Hunted the unit with a friend this past Saturday. We came down on the Friday and got in line at 4:30 for the Saturday lineup. We were spot 11 in the lineup. Not that I am complaining, just curious, however it was to my understanding you had to stay with your vehicle? about half the cars in the lineup did not have anyone in them. At 3:00-3:30 several people came running for what I assume were the trailers to jump in their vehicles.

Anyways, we got walk out 3. Man that is a long walk in the dark! lol. Lots of birds were flying but seemed to be always out of range. In the distance closer to the actual point, in the sancuary, you could see thousands landing. Quite a few shots heard in the distance. Marsh went absoulutely quiet around 12:00 decided to call it a day. Was still good to be out even though we were skunked. I imagine if the winds were different, Enjoyed the hunt, just not the walk out there! When we came back to check in, we saw several hunters got skunked, so don't feel so bad. The hunters before us in the check in had their limit, and 2 geese as well. Good for them!

Too bad my boats are stored up north.

Want to make it out a few more times this year. Maybe it is better for reservation, or to come out during the week.

W.

Badbuzz....hunters are permitted to use temporary accommodations like house trailers on site. If they park their vehicle in the line-up and remain on site they are still OK.
With respect to the duck hunting, it has really been hit and miss this season for everyone hunting in the Long Point area. I have no idea how other places are doing along this migratory flyway.
Personally, I've been out 5 times,had 2 good hunts and was skunked once.

Badbuzz
there are lot of guys in there trailers especially on friday's , there are a few guys that play games and we try to deal with them .I was beside you in 2 last saturday it was not a good duck day as far as weather we got our limit but not until around 3 . there was no wind and it was way to warm . The next time you are there on a friday night come to the fire you will get lots of free advise there and you can believe almost all of it !

" Thats 12 already ? count them again Larry "

We hunted Saturday as well. Took blind 5 and got skunked. Another time we took the same blind and got one bird this year. We've been skunked at Longpoint twice this year. Both times at walk outs. Very slow year for birds. They are getting birds at the unit but you need a small boat and know where to go. Prior to this year we have only been skuned once in the nine years years we've been hunting there. We used to get our limits without a problem. This year is very different. In blinds where we used to drive our boat in, we now can't access. Water levels very low.Reservations are not the ticket this year. Your limited to a small number of blinds that are doing well. If you get a poor reservation then the good blinds are gone and your left with whats leftover. But you don't need to line up Tuesday to hunt on Saturday. Which of course I've done lol.

Thanks for the information guys!

If I am down on Saturdays, I will swing by the fire. I saw the skids blazing when I was down. Is the fire only on Friday nights?

As I am pretty new to the unit as well as duck hunting in general, it would be nice to talk to fellow hunters, get some tips/advice. Not that I would be asking trade secrets, or where is producing, but it would be nice to have some sort of mentor, or someone that generally knows what they are doing :p Never hunted divers before, I imagine that would be different all together than hunting in marsh/fields. Looks like fun.

Looking forward to meeting some of you all!

W.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks