New to boating, need some advice to learn.

WinSX3Tom

Hi fellas.

I've been around the forums for awhile but never been much into the boating and fishing side of things more the waterfowl hunting.

I have a 14' with a 25 HP merc. Have all the safety gear etc. Have had licence for a long time just never been out much.

What I am looking for is advice on places to go within say an hour or two of Norfolk county that would be good for me to learn at. I have been out in the inner bay on this boat and that wasn't to bad, launched out of Long Point Provincial Park (Like the nice big wide ramp there good for newbies). Most of all what concerns me is weather conditions etc.

Where is say a good spot to go on the Grand River with the family and dog that we can just cruise around and learn together. I don't see weather being to much of a bother on the river.

My father in-law is a good help but doesn't often get the chance to go out (even though it's his boat). So looking to learn more on my own.

Time to go practice backing the boat behind the truck...

Thanks,

Tom Compoli

There is a lot to learn and one of the most important is reading weather forecast and knowing the affect it will have on where you want to fish. There are MANY boaters who do not fully understand this. You will get many opinions and some will be right. They will all have valid points but it all comes down to you, your knowledge and your boat.

Be safe, and always err on the side of caution.

BD

my first thought is great to hear you are getting into fishing my friend - however then I think 14 ft boat with "whole family and dog aboard" please learn the boat with a couple of folks in it first --- dogs can be very excited first few times out and having that scenario with the whole family and hooks exposed could be a disaster. take your time learning boating before you take the whole lot with you

He is a hunting dog fully used to sitting in the bottom of a 12' canoe with myself and both of my girls that part I can handle.

Thanks for the advice fellas, I'll check out those places you suggested puddle jumper!

I think I will check pittock park too in woodstock, not sure how busy that is but not too far from home.

Last edited:
Hey Winsx3Tom, the Grand was a great place for me when I first started out. Cayuga is an easy place to put the boat in and usually not to busy, the fishing is not to bad either and theres no real shallow spots till you get closer to Dunville, just have to keep an eye out for any floating debris. I still go there all the time for some fishin and tubing when its to windy for the lake. I have a 17.5 with a 115 on it and never had any problems.

Pittock Lake is usually never busy, but their ramp price will shock you, I believe around $25. Very seldom any concern with the wind. Fishing is about the same as most conservation area's, ho-hum at best, some pike, bass, perch, and the ever elusive carp. If you Google a picture of the lake in the fall after the damm is out, you can see the deeper river channel and wood piles, I would fish them.
It would be a good spot to practice loading and un-loading the boat, if your looking for practice?

Thanks, I called and ya they want $24 just to launch a boat $12 day fee plus a $12 boat fee.

I think I'll try either Cayuga or Harrioson Landing at Caledonia.

Yup, just wrong, most private ramps I use are $10, and some of those throw in minnows? My take, we all pay for conservation area's, either by using them or threw our tax's, should be free. Guess we all need to pay for those UTCA employee's kid,s and relatives to get those great summer job's, and their UTCA managers to make the sunshine list????
24 bucks, what a burn

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks