New plan for next year

Beanstir

Last year I was able to get out in a friends boat for some great walleye action. We had good success off of planer boards using crankbaits, long lengths of leadcore at about 2.5 mph. I would like to change it up a little and use an inline weight or snap weight with 3 colours of lead core. I would like to get the lure down to 50'. Anyone have any comments on this setup. What weight of sinker will I need to get down to 30' at 2.5 mph. I am trying to re-invent the mousetrap. Not sure if it is a good idea to get away from a setup that was a proven system for us. I am looking for more feel and fun in fighting the fish. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you Beanstir

Try a Torpedo diver with 3 colours of leadcore. It works really well and very, very simple with minimal line out. Just let out your core and clip on the torpedo with an OR-16 clip. These are too heavy to run on an in-line board but work well for an inside rod instead of a dipsy or downrigger. You can tune the fins to make them run a little bit outside. The diagram is second from the bottom of this page:

https://www.torpedodivers.com/trolling.asp

Last edited:
1.5 oz on 15lb mono 45ft back will get your harness to 30ft going 1.5mph.Figure out the extra speed for cranks from there.You sure don't need leadcore to fish that shallow of depth.

1.5 oz on 15lb mono 45ft back will get your harness to 30ft going 1.5mph.Figure out the extra speed for cranks from there.You sure don't need leadcore to fish that shallow of depth.

I was looking at the part about getting down to 50' at 2.5 mph.....if it's 30 feet you're right, no need for the LC.

I am trying to use the 3 lengths of LC to get the lure down 15' and give some action to the lure, assuming the lure will dive 5' on its own, then the depth of LC and lure is 20'. I want to get down another 30' without putting alot of line out. I will look into a torpedo diver. We had success over 55' down 50' last year full lengths of LC, long leader line and a good amount of braid backing behind the planer board. Does LC give any action to lures? I was thinking that it snakes threw the water and this will then give the crankbait some different action that the fish may like. I have an idea that I have too much time on my hands and doing too much thinking. Better get back to fishing soon. Thanks for your comments. Beanstir

This may be what I am looking for. Anyone use this setup?
leadcore.gif

Last edited:
That's the one I run sometimes and it seems to produce quite well.

I am trying to use the 3 lengths of LC to get the lure down 15' and give some action to the lure, assuming the lure will dive 5' on its own, then the depth of LC and lure is 20'. I want to get down another 30' without putting alot of line out. I will look into a torpedo diver. We had success over 55' down 50' last year full lengths of LC, long leader line and a good amount of braid backing behind the planer board. Does LC give any action to lures? I was thinking that it snakes threw the water and this will then give the crankbait some different action that the fish may like. I have an idea that I have too much time on my hands and doing too much thinking. Better get back to fishing soon. Thanks for your comments. Beanstir

This may be what I am looking for. Anyone use this setup?
leadcore.gif

Excellent diagram, thanks!

Here is another way that I read in Ontario Outdoors years ago. Use a three way swivel and run a deep diver off of a six foot lead and a spoon off of the other lead {slightly longer or slightly shorter}. I had no tangles as long as I dropped the deep diver in first.

Its not only the action of the leadcore... Its the distance from the boat that gets the fish... If your that lazy... Why not just buy it at the fish market?? lol

Thanks for your comment jammer. I would like to meet you at the dock. You failed on your attempt at being funny. jammer you are a disappointment

Easy Fellows no need for that , everyone is entitled to there opinion !.......... I have to agree with @jammer about getting the lines away from the boat though , we caught a pile of fish using ONLY 3,4,5 colour set ups with crack baits on them and running them out the furthest on the boards ! I do believe the boat and engine noise scares them wallies a bit , just take someone who is new to the game and they can reel all the lead in ! Lots of different set up to use and try doesn't mean your lazy and you never know , you might just find a secret weapon to use .... IMHO...................apps

Thanks for the comments on this setup. Well I am that guy that reels all the lead. If we need to check a lure or make a change I am the one that does that. I didn't think I was being lazy. As with most fishing and hunting it would be far cheaper to go to the store to buy meat but that is not what this is about. I was looking for a setup that would be a little more fun to reel in walleyes. Might be I am used to the fight of salmon. jammer great first post for 2015. I hope the rest of 2015 gets better for you. Thanks again. Beanstir

I read an article awhile back about a guy using sinking fly line so the lure would follow the line trolling in s curves. May sway back and forth better than core. I don't know. That's the joy of experimentation.

I didn't know you were so sensitive Beanstir... Sorry... Disappointment?? Not the first time I've heard that... lmao... I'm not hard to miss at the dock... So I'm up for that anytime... ;)

Here's some shorter line calm water applications for you...

Diver's off big boards...
Copper off boards... 100' of copper(45lb) goes down 22' compared to needing 120'+ of leadcore...
Can also run divers off your riggers... Down and out...

Fishing is not a science... Its the little details that put fish in the boat... What works for me may not work for you...

Good luck to you this upcoming trolling season....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks