new personal best musky

live2fish

On friday I was out fishing with my brother and his son for bass on Lake St Clair, my brother had a club tourny on sat and sun and wanted to prefish, so we joined him for the day. My 12 yr old nephew was killing us on the smallies, he had found a good pattern, but my brother and I didnt wanna use the same pattern we wanted to find as many productive patterns my bro could use for his tourny the next two days, eventually I was using a rod with a crankbait on it, and it was highly productive on the smallies, I had decided to try and catch up to my nephew in numbers so I kept the crank on, each time id get one, his drop shot would get him hooked into one as well.lol We even had a couple double headers... but eventually my brother had said "your playin with fire, we know that crankbait works, and I only have that one that dives that deep in that color" he was worried I was going to lose it... then within 20 min... I hooked into my new personal best musky a 40 inch fish and it made my day... we got him in the boat as fast as I could and it was revived boat side till she pulled herself free of my grip. My previous best was 38 inches set in June while out fising and I told the guys with me my new goal was 40... now my new goal is 45... i'll get to 50 eventually :D I got 5 smallies and the musky, brother got 6 smallies, and the kid got 12 smallies, 2 perch and a rock bass.

ps. I kinda hate bass fishing... but slowly starting to like it.

nephew and I with one of our double headers.

TristanandIdoubleheader_zps99f3ea8b.jpg

my brother and one of his beauties

Travandhissmallie_zpsd0156f75.jpg

my new pb

mewithanewPBasofSept212012muskyLSCnearBelleRiverhump_zps9c41302c.jpg

nephew again with another of his fish

P9210234_zps1a4268c0.jpg

I hope your nephew was his partner that tourny, Nice smallies and great musky.

BD

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146

nope Dave, unfortunately my nephew and I arent members of the bass club. So he was paired with another member for the tourny, I drove down behind them fished for the day then my nephew drove back with me while my brother stayed the weekend. The musky has me wanting to go back and target them my next week off work now. Maybe I will get lucky and get the 45 goal accomplished before end of season. :) My newphew is great at fishing.. he and my brother have been in tournies where my nephew won even against other adults, then from what I have heard... they claimed my brother helped him... I dunno why adults can't just suck it up and admit a kid CAN fish just as good if not better than us some days? Kids are the future of the fisheries they should be congratulated on winning, and made to feel like they should keep at it and care about the future... not accused of crap? Anyhow my nephew and I always bug each other cuz I mostly love salmon and he is a bass guy. lol but none the less this was my fav fishing trip this yr, beat all my salmon trips cuz I got to share lots of great laughs with the kid and brother.

There is nothing better than the smile a kid has from catching fish

There is a rental cottage beside where I park my boat, one week there was a young fellow who came to see what I had every time I came in. One afternoon I went back out and took the kid and his uncle for free. We got 64 nice perch in an hour, the kid smiled the whole time.

Was my best hour of the summer:)

BD

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146

If you want to get the big girls, the next few weeks are the time for it

I want to live forever...so far so good

Nice report, all it takes is one toothy critter to get you going.
I started fishing for Musky about 10 years ago, now I'm 100% into it, I even bought a trailer down on lake st. clair lol
There are worse things to be addicted to lol

Hey live2fish..............congrats on the new persoal best and sound like you might of got some of that musky slime in your blood stream , once that happens you have to watch your bank account , it tends to run low when you are buying every musky lure you can get your hands on..............lol , we to were out friday and I got my new personal best as well 47" big fat girl , didn't want to hi jack your post so I won't post a picture of it, good luck on finding your next big 1 !!!...........................apps

HOLY SMOKES .....have you learned nothing from reading the stream threads above??????? you *&%*in blank blanker8D great now there is going to be 1000s of people wanting to fish in that lake....I fish there and dont want to share...jeesh some peoples kids never learn:D

ps .....really nice fish, nows the time to start catching those big smallmouth down there

quote:
Originally posted by wicket

HOLY SMOKES .....have you learned nothing from reading the stream threads above??????? you *&%*in blank blanker8D great now there is going to be 1000s of people wanting to fish in that lake....I fish there and dont want to share...jeesh some peoples kids never learn:D

ps .....really nice fish, nows the time to start catching those big smallmouth down there

Don't patronize something you dont understand. Im sure you realize the difference between a lake and a 6' wide creek surrounded by private property.... Im no kid pal let me assure you that.

over react much there not a kid, ......the jeesh some kids comment was for the OP tongue in cheek. i fully understand the difference in waterbodies yah i went to sir sandbox too as im sure many others on here have and have worked in the industry. what i will never understand is the need of others to be critical of what people post on a public forum. chill the **** out:D see the smilie there? and name calling? really? Hey maybe you are just passionate about the resource or maybe you are protecting your spot I dont know and honestly dont really care its a public msg board people can say what they want.

PSS nice musky too. heres another creek/river report..... had a buddy land a 42 and 39 incher in the thames down there on sunday. if you are looking to do something interesting that you havent done try trolling the thames from the mouth up as the muskies are starting to make the move to put on the feed bag.

i am thinking of going back next sat to target the musky instead of smallies.. I got a lot of gear already, but very hard to find ppl willing to drive 3 hrs with me for a day of fishing musky.. how deep is the river? We launched out of mitchell bay. also how far up can you go with the boat? I only need a set of planer boards, I have a mast, but I can use downrods and side rods.. unless I find board fast. That is a big lake.. 1000's already do fish it.lol. I am just late on learning about it and deciding to give it a good go. 3 hr drive gets in the way but I gotta keep going back. I like that lake!!

hay live2fish
if u want to have a blast try south shore from stony point to the russcom river in 5 ft water follow the edge of the sand bar cast for smalleys and hag on all the big toothys u can Handel when the smallys come to play the big boys will fallow

mungy

yes on the rods and you can go a long long way up the river way past chatham .....if you dont want to fish your way from mitchells bay you can drive to lighthouse cove and put in there then you split the difference or u can go to stoney point and fish your way out to the hump and catch all kinds of fishys or do what mungy said. have fun but try to keep it quiet how good the fishing is ...try to keep it between us;) 3 hr drive does suck though....i do 1 1/2hr drive every weekend and thats lots

thanks wicket and mungy!!! my friend father is gunna join me, and we may stay in Chatam sat night and fish more sun morning before heading back.. i m wonder if we should try trolling belle river hump first day then the second launch the thames. This is all I can think about the last few days.. definitely think I got musky fever of some kind? lol

its supposed to blow 25 west on the weekend which isnt a great time on lake st clairs south shore so depending on your setup the river may be your best move. there is a trough that exends east out of the river to the 8th concession, that is great this time of yr for smallies and musky. the water depth is 14 feet. there were a pile of boats anchored up fishing on sat there. there are a bunch of options for fishing down there thats for sure. whatever you choose good luck and be safe.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks