Nets everywhere!!

You are correct that the perch nets are 10' high and sit near or on the bottom but the walleye nets that are out at Port Bruce right now are canned nets (the ones with the white jugs between the flags). The commercial guy told us yesterday they are suspended about 10-12 feet below the surface right now. You cannot cross them with any gear in the water except at the gates between the strings of nets. The gates are about 600-800 apart between the looooooong strings of nets which are a few thousand feet long.

GM
Talked to a commercial guy the other day and his Walleye nets are set on the bottom a little east of Tecumseh shoal in 75 to 80 FOW.
Not saying they could be set higher on any given day.
And, far as crossing nets without any gear down is not a problem. Just watch you don't run over the rope holding the jugs. Drive slowly.

I'm sure maybe his are set lower now but I know in the West end earlier in the year that is not always the case (I am speaking from experience on this one.....:eek:.). I have seen others learn the hard way too. Some call it education but I call it scar tissue.

To be safe, just approach and cross any canned nets very cautiously the first time to be certain, you can see the depth on your sonar as you cross over. Once your sure they're down a bit, go nuts. Bottom gill nets should never be an issue with no gear down.

The perch and pickerel are highly sought after in Japan, they make more money exporting them. Years ago when I was in the restaurant industry I could buy yellow perch from Turkey cheaper than local, a lot cheaper. So next time you see an on going perch buffet it is probably imported.

Prince craft I m pretty sure it's only the smelt that r highly sought after in Japan but the perch and pickerel r highly sought after in the USA and with exchange rates it's encouraging to sell there and your right there is European perch althoight they don't taste anywhere near as good as ours

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks