Need Advice Planer Boards

Good deepdiving cranks are made by Rapala, taildancers, they drive 30-35 feet, and as others have suggested put on clip on weights or keel sinkers, you could also use egg sinkers to get it down deep too. Was out last night deep out of Bruce, riggers down 48 feet with black/purple NK28 spoons and caught a limit in short order. Not a fan of leadcore, you're fighting the line, not the fish, 300 ' ft of line out? No thanks.

If I am not fishing with my own "Big" planner boards I highly recommend the Off-Shore Tackle boards (OR12's) They are so versatile and can be used many different ways! I personally coming from the back ground of using big boards and being able to fight the fish without the board being in the way...I prefer to have my inline boards pop the front clip which allows the board to easily swing back behind the boat and reeling in is quick and simple. Also by using this style of front release (the Orange OR19) allows you to change lures or checking lines on the outside boards without pulling in the others! Simple snap of the rod tip and the board trips and floats back and inwards and you reel it up! I have also used some of the other boards on the market that will allow the board to trip BUT they typically float back close to the lure/fish and can really spoke the fish and cause issues and lost fish! The Off-Shore board stays where you set it and is anywhere from 50-100 feet ahead of the fish and little chance of spooking!
As far as depth control goes...again Off-Shore Tackle makes their inline Guppy weights with the same OR16 Red clips that are on the back of their planner boards. Kits are available with weights from 1/2oz to 3oz and there are many dive charts available (the best will be the Precision Trolling App) which will allow you to put your lure exactly where you want it! Many talk about their Fish Hawk being the most important part of their fishing setup (especially for salmon)...well for a walleye guy the Precision Trolling App is just that!!! The lifetime membership costs just over $100 but is beyond worth it with constant updates and hundreds of lures and weight combinations available including dipsy divers are snap weights!!!! I pretty much no longer even use my down riggers around Burwell and West now and just a combination of lures like Bandits or Deep Husky Jerks and Snap weights! I can get precision depths right down to 50-60' easily!!!

Good luck! Ryan

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks