Navionics Maps

mcsteve

So mama and the kids got me the Navionics Canada Lakes map for my Humminbird 587 and the contour details are great. This will be a fantastic tool when I am running the lakes up north (Kipawa, Simcoe etc). But this map set does not have the great lakes details. What version should I look at to get the details for the big lakes? The Navionics site does not speak to the Great Lakes specifically.

Thanks
Steve

Steve , They make both , I have the same graph with a chip for the inland lakes (most) and one for just the great lakes including some larger lakes like Simcoe,Upper French etc. :)

You are going to want the hot maps gold chart (cabelas.ca) it will be labelled Canada and SE Alaska. Unfortunately it is 269.99$ but you can't really put a price on safety on the water. Bought a new one for my 798 si humminbird this year. Works perfect. Lots of waypoints and markings

"Bigger bites...Bigger fights"

Does the map for the $269 do both the small northern lakes as well as the great lakes? I am in the same situation that I need one for erie and one for the small lakes.

I don't believe so. If you go on cabelas and look under navionics you'll see the Canada and SE Alaska. It list all coverage areas. The great lakes. St Lawrence river. Severn waterways. Few up towards Ottawa Quebec areas. Have a look or call navionics?!

Thanks again. I'll grab the gold. I would think Bass Pro in Vaughn would carry it as well. I have a $10 coupon and a $50 gift card to use up so that'll bring the price down a bit. I agree Bentrods, no price is worth putting your safety at risk.

When I pick it up, can I combine the two SD cards or will I need to switch them out depending on where I fish?

Steve

Your humminbird will most likely hold 2 sd slots. Therefore leave both in. But if you are using a spare card for updates always remove both cards and put in the updates card to ensure your maps aren't "written" over and lost.

Yes, it's Navionics Gold Marine MSD/2XG, Canada and SE Alaska that you require for Great Lakes mapping. I also wish that the inland lakes together with the Great Lakes were on one chart because after all what the heck do we need with SE Alaska? They do that for a reason so they can sell you 2 charts, it's all about money. If I remember right Navionics allows you to trade in charts when they come out with new improved mapping. How much they allow you dollar wise is anyone's guess. I do agree that Navionics is a must and really worth every cent when the weather gets nasty and you truly need it to find your way home.

alot of good info from everybody bottom line go see josh at angling outfitters take your fishfinder gps in with you he will put the chip in that you will need and show you how to yous it and also mark waypoints where he has found fish

johnnyo

I also have the fishn' chips card and in my humble opinion is just ok if fishing familiar areas. But the Gold contains so much more such as port plans, user selectable depth contours, marine services with phone numbers, boat launches, marsh areas and most importantly the navigation aids with XPlain. When in water you have never gone these aids are imparative for safety. I hope this helps rather than confuses your selection.

Back