Fishing Report Nanticoke Shoal June 8 & 9

Fish Chaser

Got out a couple times over the last few days, starting to get into some Lakers, eyes and bows, first night we went 1/2 on bows with the biggest being 10.5lbs, both hit about 45 feet down in 70 FOW, second day we got an eye and then went 3/4 on Lakers, all on the gang troll and larger spoon right along the bottom in about 70 FOW as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3405.jpeg
    IMG_3405.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 254
  • IMG_3409.jpeg
    IMG_3409.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 254
  • IMG_6704.JPG
    IMG_6704.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 257
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 10.34.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 10.34.52 AM.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 246
Im headed out Tuesday any specific spoon color or size your found worked best for the trout? thanks

Got out a couple times over the last few days, starting to get into some Lakers, eyes and bows, first night we went 1/2 on bows with the biggest being 10.5lbs, both hit about 45 feet down in 70 FOW, second day we got an eye and then went 3/4 on Lakers, all on the gang troll and larger spoon right along the bottom in about 70 FOW as well.

Im headed out Tuesday any specific spoon color or size your found worked best for the trout? thanks
the 3 lakers were caught on a larger (4.5") silver spoon with some yellow and red on it with a gang troll in front, right off the bottom, however when we got out on Saturday the laker and coho came off a green and yellow spoon of a smaller size (3" or so) and was only down 45 feet in 70FOW

Are you slow trolling for the lakers or are they just coming in the regular cadence of things? And are they any good to eat out of Lake Erie? Havent checked the Ministry's guide on them as we never have targeted them.

are they any good to eat out of Lake Erie? Havent checked the Ministry's guide on them as we never have targeted them.

Good question. While I can't speak to how they are here either because I haven't caught one here, I'd like to find out. It's been a long time since I caught one. I know when I lived in the NWT any laker that was over 5lbs, it was better to steak it than it was to fillet it. Better for presentation on the plate and the bigger it was, for some reason it tasted better as a steak than it did a fillet. Maybe because there was more meat in the steak than a fillet, or maybe it was just the considerably colder water that made a difference???

I keep the smaller 4-6 lb ones and use the recipe called "Salmon Candy" from OOD Magazine and they're great. Big ones stink and smell bad and go right back into the Lake

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks