My wife wanted to go to Pt Dover.

Trevor M

Woke up this morning and since I didn't go fishin I asked my wife what she wanted to do today. She said, "I'd like to go to Lens Mill store.....in PT DOVER." So we went to Dover. After she did her thing in Lens Mill, we went and parked by the pier.

She sat and watched the ducks and geese in the channel while I went out to the end to see how the two guys there fishin were doing. (Also a couple kids fishin who were just packin up to leave when I got to them.) The kids got a smallie. The two guys at the end of the pier tho, they had quite a bucket full. They said they had 30 yellows in it, some were smallish, some were nice, some were really nice. They also had a large crappie and a bowfin.

Nice enough place to visit, but I'm not about to drive that far to go fishin off that pier especially since I'd have to pay to park.

You can park for free up the hill and walk down

You can park for free up the hill and walk down
No I can't. Free parking maybe, but that walk is just a little too far for my liking (my hips would be VERY upset with me by the time I got to the pier and that would make it not worthwhile)

No I can't. Free parking maybe, but that walk is just a little too far for my liking (my hips would be VERY upset with me by the time I got to the pier and that would make it not worthwhile)
Trevor do you not have a Handicap Parking Permit you can put on your dash???

Trevor do you not have a Handicap Parking Permit you can put on your dash???
No I don't. I'm being "stubborn" and haven't had my doctor fill out the paperwork yet. (That day will come eventually) She's told me she'll do it "whenever you're ready." She knows I'm being stubborn about it, but understands why.

As I've explained to her when she asks me why, I know there are a lot of things I once could do that I no longer can, things I took for granted until suddenly and unexpectedly I couldn't do them anymore. I have chronic pain because of the back, hip and shoulders to remind me, and I take OTC pain killers to control it daily ( can't leave the house to do anything without taking them including going fishin) with an Rx for those days when the OTC just isn't enough, and on those days, when I've had to take one of the Rx pain killers, I'm not doing much anyways because I simply can't.

While I've adapted and accepted that this is what I'll be dealing with for the rest of my life, eventually, as it gets worse as time marches on, and it does get a little worse every year, I'll have no choice; but right now, getting that permit is just another reminder that at least for now, I can put off.

That said, recently I've been thinking about getting it a lot more than I had been and as such I'll probably be making an appt with my doctor to discuss it/fill the papers out before the end of the year, if not sooner, and yes I know that when the day comes that I do get it, it becomes an assumed fishing license and I'd no longer have to purchase one. That hasn't been a consideration. I don't mind buying my fishing license. The biggest consideration has always been, how much pain do I want to deal with/can I tolerate today?

No I don't. I'm being "stubborn" and haven't had my doctor fill out the paperwork yet. (That day will come eventually) She's told me she'll do it "whenever you're ready." She knows I'm being stubborn about it, but understands why.

As I've explained to her when she asks me why, I know there are a lot of things I once could do that I no longer can, things I took for granted until suddenly and unexpectedly I couldn't do them anymore. I have chronic pain because of the back, hip and shoulders to remind me, and I take OTC pain killers to control it daily ( can't leave the house to do anything without taking them including going fishin) with an Rx for those days when the OTC just isn't enough, and on those days, when I've had to take one of the Rx pain killers, I'm not doing much anyways because I simply can't.

While I've adapted and accepted that this is what I'll be dealing with for the rest of my life, eventually, as it gets worse as time marches on, and it does get a little worse every year, I'll have no choice; but right now, getting that permit is just another reminder that at least for now, I can put off.

That said, recently I've been thinking about getting it a lot more than I had been and as such I'll probably be making an appt with my doctor to discuss it/fill the papers out before the end of the year, if not sooner, and yes I know that when the day comes that I do get it, it becomes an assumed fishing license and I'd no longer have to purchase one. That hasn't been a consideration. I don't mind buying my fishing license. The biggest consideration has always been, how much pain do I want to deal with/can I tolerate today?
Trevor l hear what you are saying and l too am stubborn but l realized that l needed to get it as some days l curse the day and have not found a pain pill that works for any amount of relief. 2 Back surgeries, 3 Shoulder Surgeries, and Hernia all relater to driving truck for over 35yrs. That,s Life l guess

Trevor l hear what you are saying and l too am stubborn but l realized that l needed to get it as some days l curse the day and have not found a pain pill that works for any amount of relief. 2 Back surgeries, 3 Shoulder Surgeries, and Hernia all relater to driving truck for over 35yrs. That,s Life l guess
Some days are better than others. Some days I can't do much of anything at all and I can ALWAYS tell you if the weather people are right about "severe thunderstorms" because if they are, I hurt way more than I normally do. I can feel it when the weather is going to change.

I didn't drive as long as you did, and honestly thought that all those aches and pains I was experiencing were just the result of doing a good hard days work, especially given the physical and repetitive nature of doing local P&D I was doing at the time the problem first showed itself. Turned out I was doing some serious damage to myself and only making it worse by not getting looked at...... until it was too late.

Of course WSIB jumped in bed with my then employer denying my claim and went so far as to tell me the issues were NOT caused by the daily heavy lifting, pushing, pulling, twisting etc, and the general repetitive nature of the job I was doing, but as a result of age. I wasn't yet 42 at that time, and after some physio/rehab, and adapting what I was doing from local P&D to simple local pin to pin for a different company who knew of the issues I had, less than two years later and 2 back to back longer than normal work days, the conditions had progressed to the point that I was told by several different doctors that if I didn't get out of the truck, I'd be in a wheelchair by 50. So, I listened to them for a change. Went back to school, graduated with honors, but no in role experience for the jobs I've been looking for. Related experience yes, tonnes of it, but no in role experience, so nobody would hire me.

Most saw the driving experience and being drivers are hard to come by, even today, they wanted me to drive for them. They couldn't seem to wrap their head around the concept that IF I could still drive professionally, I would have been, and would still be. But, I can't pass the medical let alone climb into the truck. When I went off in 2014, permanently, I could barely walk, IF you can call what I was doing walking at all. I walk with a limp now I never knew I had, and I still don't notice it. Didn't know about it until I went for an interview after graduating college and the first thing out of the guys mouth before I even sat down was, "what's wrong with your back?" He told me he knew I had back issues when he saw me walking with the same limp a friend of his with back and hip issues, who was also a driver had developed that forced his friend out of the truck as well. I had no idea and asked my family about it later and they confirmed it. I also have a friend in Yellowknife who was a driver who has the same issues I have that has been out of the truck and on disability for longer than I have been.

Given my age, although it has been discussed periodically, the doctors don't want to seriously consider any surgical options yet. It's always an option of last resort and they tell me IF that time comes, they only want to do it once, and feel that if they were to do it now, they'd only have to do it again at a later date. So for now, we're just taking the OTC's (and the Rx when necessary) to 'control' the pain as best as possible, and of course numerous restrictions to my physical capabilities. But they've already told me that the pain will be with me, even if I do have surgery, for the rest of my life. I do what I can around the house, and when I'm having a bad day pain wise, I take the day off. But as I said, I take something for the pain every time I leave the house, including when I go fishing, because if I don't, I won't be able to do much for very long. That's just the way life is for me now.

Last edited:
Some days are better than others. Some days I can't do much of anything at all and I can ALWAYS tell you if the weather people are right about "severe thunderstorms" because if they are, I hurt way more than I normally do. I can feel it when the weather is going to change.

I didn't drive as long as you did, and honestly thought that all those aches and pains I was experiencing were just the result of doing a good hard days work, especially given the physical and repetitive nature of doing local P&D I was doing at the time the problem first showed itself. Turned out I was doing some serious damage to myself and only making it worse by not getting looked at...... until it was too late.

Of course WSIB jumped in bed with my then employer denying my claim and went so far as to tell me the issues were NOT caused by the daily heavy lifting, pushing, pulling, twisting etc, and the general repetitive nature of the job I was doing, but as a result of age. I wasn't yet 42 at that time, and after some physio/rehab, and adapting what I was doing from local P&D to simple local pin to pin for a different company who knew of the issues I had, less than two years later and 2 back to back longer than normal work days, the conditions had progressed to the point that I was told by several different doctors that if I didn't get out of the truck, I'd be in a wheelchair by 50. So, I listened to them for a change. Went back to school, graduated with honors, but no in role experience for the jobs I've been looking for. Related experience yes, tonnes of it, but no in role experience, so nobody would hire me.

Most saw the driving experience and being drivers are hard to come by, even today, they wanted me to drive for them. They couldn't seem to wrap their head around the concept that IF I could still drive professionally, I would have been, and would still be. But, I can't pass the medical let alone climb into the truck. When I went off in 2014, permanently, I could barely walk, IF you can call what I was doing walking at all. I walk with a limp now I never knew I had, and I still don't notice it. Didn't know about it until I went for an interview after graduating college and the first thing out of the guys mouth before I even sat down was, "what's wrong with your back?" He told me he knew I had back issues when he saw me walking with the same limp a friend of his with back and hip issues, who was also a driver had developed that forced his friend out of the truck as well. I had no idea and asked my family about it later and they confirmed it. I also have a friend in Yellowknife who was a driver who has the same issues I have that has been out of the truck and on disability for longer than I have been.

Given my age, although it has been discussed periodically, the doctors don't want to seriously consider any surgical options yet. It's always an option of last resort and they tell me IF that time comes, they only want to do it once, and feel that if they were to do it now, they'd only have to do it again at a later date. So for now, we're just taking the OTC's (and the Rx when necessary) to 'control' the pain as best as possible, and of course numerous restrictions to my physical capabilities. But they've already told me that the pain will be with me, even if I do have surgery, for the rest of my life. I do what I can around the house, and when I'm having a bad day pain wise, I take the day off. But as I said, I take something for the pain every time I leave the house, including when I go fishing, because if I don't, I won't be able to do much for very long. That's just the way life is for me now.
I did Heavy Haul & Over Sized Loads most had to be Tarped back when tarps were Canvas and weighed a ton. Climbing and jumping off Flat Beds were no fun at all

Woke up this morning and since I didn't go fishin I asked my wife what she wanted to do today. She said, "I'd like to go to Lens Mill store.....in PT DOVER." So we went to Dover. After she did her thing in Lens Mill, we went and parked by the pier.

She sat and watched the ducks and geese in the channel while I went out to the end to see how the two guys there fishin were doing. (Also a couple kids fishin who were just packin up to leave when I got to them.) The kids got a smallie. The two guys at the end of the pier tho, they had quite a bucket full. They said they had 30 yellows in it, some were smallish, some were nice, some were really nice. They also had a large crappie and a bowfin.

Nice enough place to visit, but I'm not about to drive that far to go fishin off that pier especially since I'd have to pay to park.
nice to hear/see port still coughing up some yellows

nice to hear/see port still coughing up some yellows
First time I've been there in several years, and I've never fished it. Also was the first time I've gone when someone had caught something. But, those two guys looked tired, like they'd been there since before the sun came up and we were there around 3:30pm ish. They had some nice ones like I said, but nothing that I'd consider to be a "jumbo" (which is 11+ inches in my book) At most, their biggest was maybe 10 inches, but most were in the 7-9" range from what I could see. Still they claimed they had 30 in the bucket, and their bucket was full, so they had a good day.

Oh ? The girlfriend applied for one because she likes going down to Turkey Point Beach.

As for getting or using a Handicapped Parking Permit ? I say GO FOR IT ! Wear it like a badge of honour for making it this far in life or being injured in the line of duty (working and paying taxes).

Oh ? The girlfriend applied for one because she likes going down to Turkey Point Beach.

As for getting or using a Handicapped Parking Permit ? I say GO FOR IT ! Wear it like a badge of honour for making it this far in life or being injured in the line of duty (working and paying taxes).
I was wrong. Looked up the permits on the County website (which we all should have done in the first place) and here are the results:
Residential Paid Parking Permits are now available for $20 per vehicle, for individuals with a verified Norfolk County residential address, or for those who own property in Norfolk County but live elsewhere (such as cottage owners). The permit is good from June 15 to September 3, 2023. Check the website for purchase details,https://www.norfolkcounty.ca/living/parking/paid-parking/resident-permits/ TC

I have the paperwork. Have had it for quite some time. Just haven't printed it off and taken it in for my doctor to fill out the part she has to fill out. Probably a fee for her to do that so when I make that appt I'll have to make sure I ask what it is.

I will correct myself as it is called an Accessible Parking Permit (APP) and there is no cost for it . You can apply online or snail mail (3 weeks wait time) or Service Ontario (7 weeks wait time) and maybe get a interim permit if eligible. You can even get a decal for your motorcycle ! Any "regulated healthcare practitioner" ie; doctor, chiropractor, nurse practitioner, physiotherapist, etc. can sign off on you if you meet the requirements which looks extensive but a couple of loosely worded areas/ailments that got me a temporary permit when I tore the meniscus in my left knee many years ago.

I will correct myself as it is called an Accessible Parking Permit (APP) and there is no cost for it . You can apply online or snail mail (3 weeks wait time) or Service Ontario (7 weeks wait time) and maybe get a interim permit if eligible. You can even get a decal for your motorcycle ! Any "regulated healthcare practitioner" ie; doctor, chiropractor, nurse practitioner, physiotherapist, etc. can sign off on you if you meet the requirements which looks extensive but a couple of loosely worded areas/ailments that got me a temporary permit when I tore the meniscus in my left knee many years ago.
She's already told me she'd fill it out for me "whenever you're ready" so I'm not worried about that, but while the gov't may not charge you a fee for it, doctors tend to charge a fee for most paperwork they fill out for you. (which makes me think, if I have to pay for it to have the doctor fill out the form, then the doctor should damn well fill it out so I get approved for what it is that I'm applying for that requires a doctor to sign off on the paperwork.)

In the past I had a doctor charge me $150 to fill out the CRA disability tax benefit forms, but then tell me she wouldn't risk her reputation and her license, so she refused to fill them out in my favor based on wording semantics. What words hung her up, "severe and long term."

I was denied. I FIRED that doctor and found a new one willing to work with me who understood that my back, hip and shoulder issues are severe in their nature AND they are DEFINITELY long term as I've been dealing with the pain they cause for over 9 years now and I'll have these issues and the pain, for the rest of my life. Why did the other doctor that I fired refuse to work with me. Because I saw a chiropractor before I saw her ( I could get in to see the chiropractor immediately and had to wait 3 weeks to get in to see her even though I had told them at that time that I could not walk) and she was pissed about it because she doesn't believe in chiropractic treatment or any "alternative" treatment that SHE didn't recommend.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks