Mute Swan Hunt

Hunting is part of my being, I have been hunting or around it for as long as I can remember. I am happy to support and promote it.

Picture this, fall hunting season and a hunter wounds a Tundra Swan, breaks its wing and it bleeds but doesn't die. People driving down the causeway see this bird and next the next thing we know there is a group out there trying to save the Swan, take it to a vet for rehabilitation.

http://www.king5.com/news/environme...ith-history-takes-flight-again-184876001.html

While PETA is against hunting a lot of others aren't, why do something to push those on the fence against us?

Pretty white birds draw a lot of attention here every year, blood stained ones will draw even more.

BD

I don't hunt but agree with you 100%. That's a big can of worms to open. Swans are a romantic bird, nice and white and pretty, there would be such an outcry from the public it would be deafening.

As a non hunter if you could answer me this, how would one with 100% accuracy be able to see the different beaks between the Mute , Tundra and Trumpeters from I don't know how far? This is not one of my smartass rhetorical questions, I'd really like to know, thanks, JD.

Good question, I think it is Utah that allots 2000 tags for the Tundra. They stop the hunt if 10 Trumpeters get shot. They are hard to tell apart.

The Tundra Swan has been found flying at 27,000 feet.

Need a pretty good weapon to hit it at 27,000 feet. An F-14 maybe. Come to think about it that would make them a real hazard to air traffic as well as invasive. If one takes down a commercial airliner and all souls on board you will get your open season on swans.

Here's a link to tell the difference, size is the biggest difference, then you have to look for the yellow patch near its eye
(Every duck hunter that has seen these yellow spots, knows how much it sticks out!)

http://www.trumpeterswansociety.org/swan-identification.html

Hunting for them would be no different than identifying ducks like blacks & mallards
It's all in distinguishing before pulling the trigger, if you're not 100% sure, don't shoot!!!!
An information course would benefit hunters to identify the right birds
It's not like the tundra swans will decrease drastically in numbers, it will likely be based on a tag system, that will ensure that harvesting is controlled so the population doesn't become out of control or drop too low

Hunting is part of my being, I have been hunting or around it for as long as I can remember. I am happy to support and promote it.

Picture this, fall hunting season and a hunter wounds a Tundra Swan, breaks its wing and it bleeds but doesn't die. People driving down the causeway see this bird and next the next thing we know there is a group out there trying to save the Swan, take it to a vet for rehabilitation.

http://www.king5.com/news/environme...ith-history-takes-flight-again-184876001.html

While PETA is against hunting a lot of others aren't, why do something to push those on the fence against us?

Pretty white birds draw a lot of attention here every year, blood stained ones will draw even more.

BD

You're suggesting we should turn a blind eye and allow an invasive species to wreak havoc simply because somebodies feelings might get hurt? There is always going to be people against harvesting any animal, even fish. Hell, these idiot animal lovers go as far as interrupting coyote hunts to save the "cute and defenseless" coyotes.

Following the logic that overpopulated animals shouldn't be controlled because of misinformed peoples emotions and it might turn them against hunting...

-there shouldn't be a spring bear hunt because an animal lover might see a wounded "teddy bear"
-no mourning dove season because their cute little songbird might show up on the lawn with a broken wing
-hunting geese is a no-no because a wounded bird might show up in a park where people feed them
-deer should be off limits because someone might see "bambi" with an arrow sticking out of it
-coyote hunting shouldn't be allowed because an animal lover might see a "pretty" canine with a bloody coat

Hunters and fishermen are supposed to be leaders in conservation and the welfare of native wildlife should be top priority, no matter how pretty the invasive species may be and whose feeling's may get hurt.

Some people are horrified by the thought of people killing fish. I guess you should stop the perch charters because it may put those on the fence against fishing when they see coolers of dead and dying perch being dumped on shore for a photo op. See how silly that sounds? ;)

You're suggesting we should turn a blind eye and allow an invasive species to wreak havoc simply because somebodies feelings might get hurt? There is always going to be people against harvesting any animal, even fish. Hell, these idiot animal lovers go as far as interrupting coyote hunts to save the "cute and defenseless" coyotes.

Following the logic that overpopulated animals shouldn't be controlled because of misinformed peoples emotions and it might turn them against hunting...

-there shouldn't be a spring bear hunt because an animal lover might see a wounded "teddy bear"
-no mourning dove season because their cute little songbird might show up on the lawn with a broken wing
-hunting geese is a no-no because a wounded bird might show up in a park where people feed them
-deer should be off limits because someone might see "bambi" with an arrow sticking out of it
-coyote hunting shouldn't be allowed because an animal lover might see a "pretty" canine with a bloody coat

Hunters and fishermen are supposed to be leaders in conservation and the welfare of native wildlife should be top priority, no matter how pretty the invasive species may be and whose feeling's may get hurt.

Some people are horrified by the thought of people killing fish. I guess you should stop the perch charters because it may put those on the fence against fishing when they see coolers of dead and dying perch being dumped on shore for a photo op. See how silly that sounds? ;)
Well Said!!

I don't think Dave was suggesting he didn't want to hurt anyones feelings. I believe he was suggesting that perusing a swan hunt that may get fence sitters on the side of PETA and making that lobby stronger than they already are for a hunt that isn't going to happen.

I don't know too much about the Mute swans and reading all this about the Swans
being invasive and kicking the crap out of all the native birds something should
be done I hope it goes through

Amazing. 312. Did you read the first line of my post? :rolleyes:

I am all for the mutes being removed. The Tundra isn't invasive. I am glad someone can interpret what they read.

:censored:Thank WTP

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so you know 312.

I donate to DU Canada, NWTF and fish for kids every year. I support hunting and fishing:)

How do the people who would be up in arms about a big white bird being injured along the causeway know the difference between a Tundra, Trumpeter or Mute? You can't pick and choose. If the numbers support it, we should have the opportunity.

Just curious about this statement BD: "Pretty white birds draw a lot of attention here every year, blood stained ones will draw even more".
Your all for the mutes being removed, well they're a pretty white bird also, won't the blood stains show on them as well???

I get what your saying but I've also hunted my whole life. I came to the conclusion early that it doesn't matter spit what we hunt these fanatical groups will always oppose regardless of how logical a cull is or how ethically we pursue any game we hunt. These loons can not be reasoned with so it's up to us as hunters to educate the non-hunting part of society that's on the fence to their complete nonsensical propaganda and the unfounded lies they spread. I still have faith most people have enough common sense to realize how crazy they really are when we present the facts in a rational manner.

It's not just PETA we need to worry about as there's whole host of these wack-job organizations out there. Here's a list which doesn't even include the endless list of focus groups such as movements focused on farm animals, on animal testing, on so-called blood sports, Vegetarians groups against the use of any animal period or the long list of "Save this or save that or.... save whatever organizations etc., etc.. There's literally hundreds of these wacko groups out there so we must not give an inch. We need to stick together regardless of our differing opinions or we'll lose our Canadian traditional right to hunt handed down to us for generations. That's really what's at stake here, not whether your right or ch312 is.

Animal rights organizations

Guys band together for the same cause. Infighting between those wanting the same outcome is why some issues are never resolved or common goals never attained. No need to attack because of a difference of opinion, especially where there isn't one.

358317592_868aa124e5_o.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks