Muskies

jeweller

Good winter topic to argue about. I'm reading more and more people are catching Muskie on Long Point Bay. I've caught a few, but all small and enjoyed the fight. My question is this a good thing for Long Point Bay? As these fish get bigger what are they going to do to the resident fish population? At this point I'm think it"s a great edtion to the Bay.I've not heard of people keeping them so I assume there not a good eating fish. So if that's the case it's catch and release with no decline in there numbers. What are everyone elses opion on Muskies in the Bay?

i think its great. Lake St clair, detroit river, thames river, have huge musky populations and all the other species seem to be doing just fine.

Well for one it's ILLEGAL to keep any small Muskie! Lake Erie has a limit size of 44" or greater. Also they are out of season right now. First sat in June til Dec 15. DO NOT KEEP MUSKIES. Simple. IMO having a few big muskies around when pike fishing is awesome! Just need all these little ones to get big!!

That's my understanding are those who catch them do not keep them. That they are a sport fish (catch and release). 44" are large fish and I'm sure the Bay does not have many of that size yet but there coming I'm sure.

Although small fish will become large fish someday....... you do not need to worry about Muskie taking over the bay and wiping out all the other species.
They are usually one of the last fish to spawn, therefore by the time they hatch. All the other species that spawned in the same area will be in a feeding frenzy, as well as there fry will be praying on the muskie spawn and fry. Look at the Kawartha lakes, although; conservation, education, and slot sizes have helped the muskie greatly.....there is still nowhere close to as many muskie around as Pike, bass and all the pan fish #'s increased.

I wish Ontario would add slot sizes to other species,(on certain lakes) in order too force people too release the breeders, to help increase fish populations and to create a "trophy" fishery

Similar to the western provinces

I think it's really neat to see a native species returning to the bay. I ve been doing some reading and muskie populations started to decline with the creation of the causeway and also over fishing. Hopefully, they can successfully re-establish themselves.

I think there has been quite a few muskies around all along... With social media its now being aired... Also I think a lot of them are kept "as pike" and consumed... There is some bigger ones around as well...

Great responses. I'm learning more about muskie with each response. This is what I enjoy about this forum is input that's out there.

I'm not looking for another fish to eat but has anyone cooked up any muskie before and if so how was it. The day will come when one is hooked badly and most be kept.

There have always been musky in the bay but never in numbers, probably some St.Clair fish that have found their way in. Since the bay has numerous pike and pike fry hatch much earlier than musky. In turn those pike fry will feed heavily on the smaller musky fry when they hatch. I would not get my hopes up with regards to ever having any real numbers of musky in the bay. There was an excellent article in real Fishing mag a few years ago about big musky being landed in Rondeou Bay. For one summer it was great angling and then they seemed to just disappear. Some of the old timers used to wrap musky in foil with onions and bacon and cook them, supposed to taste quite good.

I have eaten em before,not great, but if you were in a pinch and only had carp or musky to eat, I would choose the musky. But really why would you eat one when they can grow to such a HUGE size. Practice CPR on em.
Catch
Photograph
Release.

Musky die really easy when out of the water for to long when the water temps get up above 70. so have all your camera stuff ready for a pic. and keep the fish in the water as much as possible to save our resources.

Blastr

Back in the 50's (before my time) my uncle would pickle them. Personally I don't think I could stomach that.

Good info. Looks like catch & release is the way to go with delicate handling. Hopefully we are at the beginning of good game fish to catch and the muskie will flourish in the Bay like the pike seem to be of late.

Rankulizer82 , that is true, I have spent thousands of dollars getting musky tackle and rods/reels, a real addiction for a fish that we release. the net alone was 200.00 for muskie fishing.

Blastr

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks