Off Topic mushrooms???

packrat

been a not so good year for my Shaggymane 'rooms----only seen a couple here and there ----even my go to spot hasn't produced this year. anyone else having better luck at finding them??? seems like conditions are ideal

I was starting to have two good patches on my lawn but this year only two shrooms popped up... ? I don't use any treatment on the grass so that's not the issue. I remember years ago I could walk down Old Cut Blvd. and fill a 6 quart basket in no time but nowadays everyone sprays their lawns and they are pretty much gone now. Haven't had much luck with Spring Morels and no sign of Puff Balls either... ?

Not much moisture this fall compared to the spring. Morels were excellent if you could find them, had a great spring season. Fall chanterelle season was pretty bad, haven't found any hens, couple CoWs, did do pretty good on fall hedgehogs though. Haven't seen any shaggies anywhere, but I did see a new flush of inky caps on a walk last week after we had some rain. I like to have the odd drink so I don't pick 'em.

There’s definitely more people forging nowadays. Some people might not know to leave some behind.
True but doesn't explain my patches. Mine were coming along pretty good and I was letting them spread, approx. two 4 foot by 6 foot patches but this year next to nothing popped up. Mind you my old orchard produced too much fruit this year to the point of breaking limbs due to weight of apples/pears. I'm going to blame Mother Nature.

@Old Cut LongPointer the mycelium under your lawn is huge, and will fruit where it receives the best conditions to do so. Some mushrooms will fruit almost to the exact day on the exact tree like clockwork, umbrella polypore's are known to return year after year you can set your watch to it. Others may fruit once and never again in that spot - morels are pretty typical of that. They may be in the general area, or they may fruit but not to the same extent, but it's unusual to find a good patch that returns year after year, if you do, take that spot to your grave. (Your orchard should be one of the spots, they love old apple trees ;)

It's also a misconception you can overpick mushrooms, you cannot damage the mushroom from picking just the same as you cannot damage an apple tree by picking all of it's fruit. The actual mushroom is underground, and other than leaving some for the next person, there is no reason to leave them unpicked. In the case of shaggies, you may as well pick them when they are prime because they deliquesce so fast chances are they won't be any good the next day anyways.

It was an epic fall for honey mushrooms - maybe rotting wood holds its moisture better than soil? Or they soaked up all they needed for fruiting earlier in the season? Who knows.

I don't bother with shaggy manes much. Makes a nice sauce for your steak but they cook down to nothing so not very good on their own IMO

It was an epic fall for honey mushrooms - maybe rotting wood holds its moisture better than soil? Or they soaked up all they needed for fruiting earlier in the season? Who knows.

I don't bother with shaggy manes much. Makes a nice sauce for your steak but they cook down to nothing so not very good on their own IMO
Mushrooms on trees and wood aren't as dependent on rain since they can get what they need from the tree. Hopefully you aren't finding the honeys on your own property, that's very bad news for your living trees.

Mushrooms on trees and wood aren't as dependent on rain since they can get what they need from the tree. Hopefully you aren't finding the honeys on your own property, that's very bad news for your living trees.
I don't think I've walked a property this fall that didn't have a healthy population of honeys, mine included. It is a natural part of the ecosystem. With EAB having taken out my ash, beech bark disease established, and oak wilt and hemlock wooly adelgid on their way, at least I'll get a meal or two out of honeys if they decide to take out some trees unlike the other pathogens.

@ chris178 ; you know your shrooms. I was letting my Shaggy's mature thinking it would help spread spores and it seemed to be working until this year. I found in the past that once they find a good spot you could go back year after year usually in the Fall after a rain.
@GPS ; they look like Shaggy's to me.
@anonymoose ; I always gave my Shaggy's a quick saute in butter and served on toast for breakfast/brunch that same day as they don't store well due to their delicate nature.

some days it pays to get out of bed and out the door early. after crying in my beer about the lack of shaggies---walk out the front door of my building and what do i see shaggies about a doz maybe-----first time in nearly 17 years that i've seen them there. cue light bulb for brainwave just for fun will check out my spot and sure enough there they are----quick stop to pick up a knife and back to it----scored more then enough to make soup ----happy camper now

I'm no mushroom guy and couldn't tell you one from the other but I can tell you I've got a healthy selection scattered throughout my yard

I always gave my Shaggy's a quick saute in butter and served on toast for breakfast/brunch that same day as they don't store well due to their delicate nature.
I recently saw a tip from Paul Stamets, if you can’t eat them the same day, put your shaggies in cold water submerged fully in a sealed Tupperware and they will not go inky as fast. His photo showed what claimed to be 5-day old mushrooms that still looked like fresh picked.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks