Motorguide Junk

shasang

I purchased a Motorguide XI5 2 year's ago and have had problem's with the foot control draining the AA batteries since day one. I called Motorguide and they said there is nothing they can do because the warranty was up 4 month's ago. They said I would have to take it to a Motorguide repair center. Previously I took it 3 time's to Hasting's Starter and he put in a new printed board in the head and he said that should fix it and that didn't work so next trip to see him he gave me the foot petal that he uses to test the other motor's and it still drained the batteries so I went back to Hasting's Starter only to find it's no longer in business so I took it to Aikman's Sport's in Mississauga and he tested it and said that it was eating the batteries and I needed to purchase a new foot control for $300. plus tax because Motorguide told him it was out of warranty and while I was at Aikman's there was about 12 Motorguide foot pedal's on his counter for repair. I called Motorguide back and they said there is nothing they can do because it's out of warranty and they said there is no record of me having any problem's with the foot pedal even though I went to Hasting's Starter long before my warranty was up. I'm just bitchin about my problem to let other people know that they better make sure that if they have had any work done on their Motorguide JUNK that it is on record. That is not the only problem they have had with that Motorguide XI5. The Motorguide XI5 is a piece of shit that's my opinion.

sorry to hear that...do you use that bow mounted for bass fishing...ya running on AA batteries sounds like junk

I purchased a Motorguide XI5 2 year's ago and have had problem's with the foot control draining the AA batteries since day one. I called Motorguide and they said there is nothing they can do because the warranty was up 4 month's ago. They said I would have to take it to a Motorguide repair center. Previously I took it 3 time's to Hasting's Starter and he put in a new printed board in the head and he said that should fix it and that didn't work so next trip to see him he gave me the foot petal that he uses to test the other motor's and it still drained the batteries so I went back to Hasting's Starter only to find it's no longer in business so I took it to Aikman's Sport's in Mississauga and he tested it and said that it was eating the batteries and I needed to purchase a new foot control for $300. plus tax because Motorguide told him it was out of warranty and while I was at Aikman's there was about 12 Motorguide foot pedal's on his counter for repair. I called Motorguide back and they said there is nothing they can do because it's out of warranty and they said there is no record of me having any problem's with the foot pedal even though I went to Hasting's Starter long before my warranty was up. I'm just bitchin about my problem to let other people know that they better make sure that if they have had any work done on their Motorguide JUNK that it is on record. That is not the only problem they have had with that Motorguide XI5. The Motorguide XI5 is a piece of shit that's my opinion.
I hear ya on the trolling motor front. My POS is a Minn kota power drive V2 I pilot. Worst trolling I ever uses. Took it back a few times under warrnety and they cant fix it or even know what the issues are. It completely loses signal with the remote aleast 20 times a day. Unplugging it usually resets it but other times it doesn't. Sometimes the remote shows the prop turning and it's not. Other times it simply doesn't come on at all. Oh how I miss my old cable drive vortex. You would think $ 1200 would get you something usable

I agree @petehayhurst Motor Guide needs to step up as this was a problem in 2017 with the Xi5. I found this inexpensive remedy that hopefully helps you solve the issue your having as well. You have to register on the site in order for the photo to show so I'll put it below for you to see the installed switch at the red arrow but you can read how they easily wired an on/off switch into the peddle on the red wire in the pedal to the batteries that stopped the draining of the batteries your experiencing. If you can't find the 2-pin rocker switch used in the photo locally you can order it using the Amazon link provided. You just switch it off when done fishing then back on next trip to power up the pedal again. It actually looks pretty good as well. This fix apparently works like a charm because you should be getting at least a year out of your foot pedal batteries. If you do it let us know how it worked out for you. :)

NOTE: I read that one guy mounted the switch where the green circle is as it gave a little more room.
REMEDY for MG Xi5 pedals draining batteries (read all 3 pages to glean all information needed)

20171201_135148_resized_LI (2).jpg

Last edited:
knock on wood but my Xi5 has been amazing for 3 seasons! I have never once used the foot pedal though and its sitting on a shelf in the basement where its been since I opened the box in 2017! I have at least 350-400 hours of trolling on it (I use it for steering while my kicker pushes).

mick yes I use it for bass fishing. jerk bait I had a minn kota cable steer before this one and had no issues at all. I think I should have spent a little more money and bought the Minn Kota Ulterra with auto deploy because the Motorguide is a pain in the ass trying to get it up out of the water when it's rough out on a bass boat. Wave Runner thank you for your time finding that solution to my problem I did find that before I bitched to motorguide and I will be putting a switch in mine

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks