Motor Upgrade

Shrek

I am looking to switch out my old 30hp 2 stroke mercury with a newer 4 stroke with similar hp. Don't want to break the bank as the boat is older but it in great shape with new floors and carpets and all the stuff updated. Any recommendations?

Yamaha, had one and got a Merc on the new boat, happier with the Yamaha. Some restrictions on trying to find a 4 blade but not a big deal. Add a whale tail, makes a big difference. Very quiet.

I highly recommend a Yamaha, Merc, Suzuki, Honda, Tohatsu or a used Evinrude. They make good motors. You may call me a fanboy but anyone else is rubbish.

I did the same thing with my 1996 Lund. Last year I got new carpets and the boat looks brand new. This year a new 60HP Yamaha replaced the 60HP Merc. This Yamaha is excellent, and I highly recommend it. It runs like a 60HP sewing machine. My decision was made up when I noticed most government boats have Yamaha motors, and when I did a trip to Lake Joseph in the spring and saw all the contractor boats at the marina with Yamaha motors; 8 of 10 boats had Yamahas. I figured they must be very reliable. Time will determine the reliability of the motor, but it just runs so smoothly and quietly, even at full throttle you can have a conversation in the boat.

I've had yamies Honda's and Mercs. All have been good. Buddy who works a fish farm in BC swears by Suzuki's. I don't think you can go wrong these days. What I might look at is if a 30s weight is the same as a 40 . Then I'd get the 40 cause more is better.

I don't own a 4 stroke but have had the joy of riding in some and can appreciate the noise level (very quiet ) and gas mileage (very good ) plus lack of smoky exhaust and no fuss or muss with mixing gas/oil. The Cons being; they don't produce that "out of the hole shot" power and the extra weight due to the mechanics involved. So whatever make you buy make sure your transom is in good shape. From what I've read Yamaha Marine holds approx. 40 percent of the world market with Merc Marine and Suzuki Marine following. There was an article that mentioned Merc's 40 and 60 HP motors were made in China but everything else was made at their plant in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin.

Rule of thumb for powering a boat is ; for every 30-40 Lbs. of weight you need at least 1 HP . So a 2000 pound payload will require at least a 50 HP motor but a 60 HP would be better.

Last edited:
If I were repowering a 30 hp it would be the Suzuki DF30 over the Yamaha 30 for a number of reasons including superior innovation features. But mainly the Suzuki's 5 year warranty over Yamaha's 3 year and weight difference. The Yamaha is a whopping 214 lbs. vs Suzuki's 163 lbs.

I have a Yamaha 60 HP. I was thinking of upgrading and was seriously looking at Suzuki. They have some unique design features as Wave Runner has mentioned and are quickly catching Yamaha in sales.

1694349169624.jpeg

My boat.

But the fact is everyone makes a good outboard these days. Go with whomever gives you the best deal from your most trustworthy and closest dealer. The exception is the Yamaha 9.9. Everyone else is EFI now. Get with the times Yammy.

Last edited:
I bought a 2022 Suzuki 9.9 kicker for my Legend and love it. Runs very quietly and starts first time every time(EFI). Check out Xtreme Marine in London. They are the official Suzuki dealer. You won't be disappointed.

Check out Xtreme Marine in London. They are the official Suzuki dealer.
Are you thinking of Hully Gully? I don't see any indication that Xtreme is a Suzuki dealer.

I got my 9.9 and buy my Zuke supplies from Bridge Yachts in Port Dover.

Last edited:
My brother is a marine mechanic and says the Suzuki are the most reliable. So much so we are repowering ours with a new 225 when it arrives. CAS marine in Ayr are suzuki dealers.

My boat is small so a 40HP max engine according to the plate. I was thinking Yamaha or Mercury. Problem is that new is too expensive to justify putting on a 1999 boat. Looking for a good source for a used 30-40HP 4 stroke. Maybe someone switching out to up power their boat.

Second question, how hard is it to convert a tiller to remote? I have a side console Princecraft. Lots of tillers for sale.

You won’t find a deal on a good small four stroke. Every one for sale they want almost new price. That was my experience on a 9.9 anyways.

Don't know if they still do, but port colborne marine used to buy motors from lodges, refurbish and offer a limited warranty. I know CAS in ayr has some used small displacement suzuki's. - but if you are buying used do your homework. Supply chain issues are causing some manufacturers to discontinue parts way earlier than we are used to. I had a rectified crap out last week. Had to go after market to get a replacement.

Last edited:
If I were repowering a 30 hp it would be the Suzuki DF30 over the Yamaha 30 for a number of reasons including superior innovation features. But mainly the Suzuki's 5 year warranty over Yamaha's 3 year and weight difference. The Yamaha is a whopping 214 lbs. vs Suzuki's 163 lbs.

What he said. Zukes are awesome motors. My last boat sported the DF140, and I never had a lick of trouble with it. I suspect the new owner will have similar trouble free motoring. I have a 2015 15hp Suzuki on the tin boat up north and it starts up every time all the time. My new boat came with a brand that I’m not in love with, but I did well enough price wise buying south of the border that if it gives me any issues I’m going to yank the motor and drop a new Suzuki 75 on it. I bought the boat for the hull not the outboard. Suzuki is tops in my books. Second would be Honda, 3rd Yamaha. I’ve owned all 3 over the years and all great motors but Suzuki is my fave and the 5 year warranty is pretty good!

I bought a suzuki 9.9 efi for a kicker last year of bridge yachts so far been a great motor

What I really like about Suzuki is the maintenance kit. Everything you need for a tune up. $175 from Bridge Marine for the DF150.IMG_20230910_184041.jpgIMG_20230910_184035.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks