Fishing Report Montreal River System

DaveJ

Thinking about booking a week at Elk Lake Wilderness Resort on the Montreal River system. Never heard much about the Montreal River....any feedback, comments, suggestions???

The only Montreal River I've encountered was between the Soo and Wawa on 17.

For all the years I ran over it, the fog was so thick I could barely see the handle on the front of the hood.

Then finally one day blue sky and sunshine.

Absolutely stunning views.

Same one? Sure it would be great fishing up there. 🌻

Fished it a few times. - mostly at Gowganda, which is pretty much the headwaters. Had decent fishing then, and downstream from Gowganda there was some incredible large mouth fishing based on the testimony and stringers of the guys who rented the steel boats you needed to get there from the lodge- Also did White Pine Lodge. at the base of the falls from Lady Evelyn. That was the week spring changed to summer overnight and the temps went from the mid 20's to 30 + degrees overnight. Made for a tough go. The boys at Fishin' Canada did a show on it too, Bass, pike, eyes and pan fish. So, kind up and downstream of where you are looking

No this is the system south of Kirkland lake close to Gowganda

I live about 20 minutes from the Elk Lake Wilderness Resort. You can't go too far south from there because of Mountain Chete rapids down river. You can head up river towards Elk Lake and farther north, but I believe you can only go as far as Indian Chute. There are offshoots to other lakes though, if you are using a smaller boat. If you pulled your boat out from the resort, and trailered it a few minutes down Hwy 65, you could put in just below Mountain Chutes, and you could then boat all the way to Latchford, where you would encounter a dam at Hwy 11. The Montreal begins in Gowganda, and I have fished quit a bit in what is referred to as the West Montreal River, which flows northward towards Matachewan, and then turns southward, and eventually empties into Lake Temiskaming. It's a long body of water, but there are natural and man made obstacles along the way that prevent boat travel.

I fished it a few times and enjoyed every minute. At that time not much competition for the area we were in. Trolled alot and found some ncse spots to cast from.

I fished it between Elk Lake and Matachewan. We were there bear hunting at Golden Eagle and didn't have a lot of time to devote to fishing but got some scrappy decent smallmouth and a couple of pike. The smallmouth were of decent size.

That's a great area, we have been to Thunderstock Outfitters and a few places near Gowganda our new favorite spot is Lady Evelyn Lake.

Booked Green Wilderness Resort Mattagami Lake. They have an outpost cabin we are going to try..boat in, but only 3/4 of a mile so no big deal. Nice upgraded 16' 25hp boats with electronics. Places are booking FAST..people are tired of Covid lockdowns for 2 years.

Imo, if you want to fish the Montreal River, I would base out of White Pine Lodge across from Mowats Landing. You'll have miles of river, fishing for walleye,pike,smallies, perch. Option to go up to Lady Evelyn PP. Lady E is a great smallie and Walleye lake. Theres a shuttle where a fella takes you and your boat up over the dam into Lady E.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks