Monster Pike

Looks just like the view looking from St. Williams eastwards to the Turkey Point marsh. I've looked across there hundreds of times when heading to the barn at Booth's.

Hey fella's, I don't disagree with returning the big ones, for a miriad of reasons as already stated. My experience with trying to return the big boys is that it takes much longer to get them in the boat, and by then they are pretty much spent. More often than not we have to keep them because even after long periods of attempted boatside recovery, they are done. sometimes we will circle back around to pick up a fish that we thought would be OK. I don't know much about ice fishing I will admit, but how would you be sure he will survive once he is under the ice? The strentgh of his kick when going down the hole, never to be seen again? If the water is already low of oxygen then it is multiplied. Or is it because the water is so cold it is a good thing? I really don't know, so if someone could enlighten me, I would appreciate it. Thanks

just thought I would clarify the size limit on pike for commercial fishermen is 30 inches and in my opinion it doesn't make much sense to keep thousands of snot rockets and release 1 48 inch fish where do you think these big fish come from ?

hey, nice fish i use to catch giant pike like that all the time out west just using frozen smelt from the grocery store on a red jig head an inch off bottom.
its much harder to get a trophy in these waters as they are not the apex predator, the musky is.
out west you dont see musky the pike are the brutes of the lake.
nice fish man
DSC01302.jpg

we would get these on a regular basis

if your having trouble locating the big ones try fishing shallower,
look at the bloody fins and red bellies on big pike its from rubbing the bottom.
hint hint
theres lots out there, you just have to find them

Why do people feel the need to judge? Assuming they are licenced to catch and keep that fish then they are within their right to do so. No reason to judge. I also question how often a released fish is a "live" release. I do release as well as keep some for dinner and hope that the fish I release live on, however there is no way of knowing how many actually survive. So if you catch and release 10 in 1 day and 7 die, well now you have done more damage then the guy who kept his limit and went home. Just saying we all make our own decisions based on personal thought so to judge and say who is right or wrong is unfair, as of now there is no solid science proving the rate of survival in released fish

Endeavour to Persevere

A released fish has a way better chance of survival than the ones the end up in the frying pan. However, if the odd fish does not make it, at least it dies in an environment which it won't go to waste. Something will prey on it. I also agree that eating a few does not hurt a population, i just prefer to be careful and release the larger specimens.

Spilliard

stomp...Never intended it as a hoax or fish story nor did I imply it as such. Regardless of where it came from I was just simply stating it's what I would call a monster pike. The link below has most current records for pike as well as Ontario's largest being 42 lbs.

http://www.fishingfury.com/20070318/world-record-pike/

No worries; someone posted "here we go again", so I just Googled a bit and found the link to the story. Certainly some awesome pictures. Speaking of pike fish stories - wish I had a better pic of my 15+ lb. Bluff Bar pike:D
bigpike.png

That indeed is a good one for Long Point stomp. Just a little friendly advice, keep the sun at your back when taking pictures and then the picture will do that pike justice. :D

Now Dave, we both know that I had a monster cat up to the boat that day. And we both know that the cat was, in fact, a GIANT catfish. And we both know why we don't have a picture of that cat.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks