Monster Pike

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
My brother sent me this picture of his friend's co-worker. It was caught off of St Williams this weekend. It measured 48"

Maybe the perch fishing will pick up now that this monster isn't lurking around:D

pike1_zps90950f3e.jpg

I'm off tomorrow for the Bay of Qunite for the rest of week and will post some updates as the week goes on.

Jim

caution_zps2133a180.jpg

Too bad to hear the fish was killed.. Could have been a great fish for a number of other angler to catch and release in the future

quote:
Originally posted by Braydon89

Too bad to hear the fish was killed.. Could have been a great fish for a number of other angler to catch and release in the future

Why? I am puzzled by this comment, for I am sure that this particular ice-water pike would taste downright delicious fried in some salted butter, possibly with a light coating of flour.

For us meat-fishers who understand that fish are not play things, but are to be eaten once caught, we know exactly how this pike would taste! YUM!

quote:
Originally posted by Caseys Dream

quote:
Originally posted by Braydon89

Why? I am puzzled by this comment, for I am sure that this particular ice-water pike would taste downright delicious fried in some salted butter, possibly with a light coating of flour.

For us meat-fishers who understand that fish are not play things, but are to be eaten once caught, we know exactly how this pike would taste! YUM!

Caseys Dream, you bet that would be yummy from that cold water.
;):D

caution_zps2133a180.jpg

Agreed Braydon, Shame! Big pike like that are hard to find these days. They are also key in reproducing other large strains of big pike. Keep the hammer handles for snacks and let the big predators go. I would love to have a photo with a 48" pike, release it and allow another angler the same opportunity.

Spilliard

Chances are the bait was locked down it's throat and in it's gills. Good that you keep it instead of jamming it back down the hole to die on the bottom.

Nice fish!! But I have to agree with Spillard, fish of that size are very hard to find in the inner bay and to release those big ones would be in all our best interest. On the other hand it would have be pretty tasty:p just my two cents

Just imagine how many perch this pike has to eat to stay that way. Maybe now we will be ablr to catch a few more perch. Nice catch. I'm jealous. Others are too but won't admit it so they tell you they would release it.

I would think many more big fish like this are netted out each year in the hoop and seine nets which will again soon be out in the Bay. Beautiful fish; thanks for sharing.

I wonder if we can get that Photoshop guy to work on improving Big Dave's Facebook page?

First if all if your a fisherman at all you would have been catching enough perch to be satisfied this season regardless. And secondly if you knew the area you would understand that a pike "as you claim" to be close to 50 inches is not a regular occurrence and the thought of killing it and removing those genes from the fishery shouldn't even cross your mind. There is thousands of snot rockets out there you could eat. And I will admit I am a but jealous I love to catch big fish, and do every year, all of which get released. If you can't understand the facts that me and spilliard have pointed out the all I can say I hope your are poor fishermen. Lets think about respecting the future of our fishery boys.

quote:
Originally posted by Lpgar

Actually pike over 36" must be returned to the bay from the nets.

Good to know. I think the point that many potential big fish are netted out is still a valid one. It's legal for those with the right license to net them. It's also legal for a sport angler, if they so choose, to keep a bigger fish.

Some keep them some let them go in my opinion the big ass fish tend to have more contaminates in them for eating ,however people have a choice and pay into the system just like anybody else . If your hungry it if your not don,t that's the beauty of it For every action there is a reaction !

Again agreed Braydon that pike does not look that big, not the point. The point is as an avid pike fisherman it sucks to see big ones like that killed. LOTS of smaller pike out there to eat. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I respect that, I'm just trying to give my opinion that these big fish should be photographed and released. Lpgar, I didn't know that pike over 36" had to be released when caught in the nets. That's goo to hear.

Spilliard

Well, with that Captain and crew, I felt it wise to ask the Lord for some assistance. :p Might not be a bad thing for you to work into your safety presentation as you embark on each charter.

Not to start an argument here but that photo makes me doubt it was shot at St.Williams.The shore doesn't look like St.Willys(to me),you can't see either Booths Harbour,Fin N Feather or any other recognizable landmark.Also,I don't believe it snowed on the weekend and Larry Lloyd's pix from Family Day clearly shows a considerable amount of snow on the ice.The pic here shows clean ice.Does anybody else question the location here?It would be nice though to see pike of that size there.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks