mnr report

live2fish

Who all here is signed up for the MNR "fish and wildlife news" email?

one part I read said this, and may interest some on here curious about the food webs, though this one is about Huron. I sent an email asking for the report.

A recent study is helping us understand the connection between fish species, habitats, and food webs. Over the course of 70 years, the ministry and partners collected and examined fish scales from South Bay on Lake Huron. Researchers can analyze fish scales to see where fish have been eating and where they fit into food webs.

This project is one of the longest ongoing studies of food webs in the Great Lakes. The findings highlight changes to the Lake Huron food web that we have never seen before. Since the invasion of zebra and quagga mussels and round goby, fish have relied more on nearshore resources. Lake whitefish has changed feeding habits more than any other species.
A scientist wearing an orange jacket and gloves holding a whitefish
Email info.mnrfscience@ontario.ca with the subject line ‘Requesting seventy years of food-web Trumpickas paper’ to read the report and learn more about the invasion of zebra and quagga mussels and round goby in Lake Huron.

The ministry would like to thank the following partners on this project:
  • Lakehead University
  • International Institute for Sustainable Development Experimental Lakes Area

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks