Off Topic MNR Release

What is normally done with dead bass that are weighed in? Shouldn't the anglers themselves be responsible for "not wasting" them? Clearly there was an issue here to have such a high mortality rate but dealing with some dead bass must be commonplace at summer tournaments.

Not defending the actions of the organizers, just wondering what the usual protocol is.

What is normally done with dead bass that are weighed in? Shouldn't the anglers themselves be responsible for "not wasting" them? Clearly there was an issue here to have such a high mortality rate but dealing with some dead bass must be commonplace at summer tournaments.

Not defending the actions of the organizers, just wondering what the usual protocol is.
"Some of the standard conditions of the licence require oxygen levels and temperatures that keep fish alive and healthy, immediate mandatory reporting to MNRF if more than five per cent of the fish die, and that any dead fish be kept on ice, so they don’t spoil."

Says right in the article what is normal

@rastam4n @Derkd9 kept on ice, and then what? 195 bass (probably averaging 4+ lbs) would have been a big fish fry for Mr. Woo. Again, not condoning throwing them in the trash, just a question. Why wouldn't he have had the anglers take the fish under their own individual limits, seems an easy solution for the wastage aspect?

@rastam4n @Derkd9 kept on ice, and then what? 195 bass (probably averaging 4+ lbs) would have been a big fish fry for Mr. Woo. Again, not condoning throwing them in the trash, just a question. Why wouldn't he have had the anglers take the fish under their own individual limits, seems an easy solution?
I’m not sure,
But that would be in the mnr hands after reporting the deaths of the fish and putting them on ice so they don’t spoil

I’m sure they have a list they call,

logical thing would be to ask the individuals who caught this fish to take care of them

I agree 120%. In fact I think the anglers should responsible for the fish they catch regardless. If they release them or take them home. It should all be done within personal limits. They idea of fish being thrown away does not sit right with me. That is what fish chowder is for.

Ben Woo was a high roller in organized fishing events. Hard to imagine how he got hung out to dry for something like this. Like others who commented I would have thought that the participants would have been responsible for the fish they caught and discarded.

Ben Woo was the licence holder, which made him responsible, that is my thought.
And the fish were in the garbage. Someone put them there and it wasn't one guy who caught 188 fish. This was the event organizers that did this. What were they trying to hide? If it wasn't their fault, why not try to preserve all the fish like the regulations say to and call the MNR?

Someone was negligent, ether intentionally or unintentionally it doesn't matter, they tried to cover it up.

That's generations worth of fish lost that will take a long time to get back.

And the fish were in the garbage. Someone put them there and it wasn't one guy who caught 188 fish. This was the event organizers that did this. What were they trying to hide? If it wasn't their fault, why not try to preserve all the fish like the regulations say to and call the MNR?

Someone was negligent, ether intentionally or unintentionally it doesn't matter, they tried to cover it up.

That's generations worth of fish lost that will take a long time to get back.
For sure at the end of the day it never should have happened
And someone needs to be held accountable, that’s why there is a license holder.

When i buy into a fishin tournament & see that they don’t even have a reputable way of keeping my C&R alive after weigh, I would definitely hesitate on admission 🎣🐠💩💩🤨

I just looked up Ben Woo. Apparently the guy is a TV host, was on Fish'n Canada and had a show of his own starting soon.

Way to completely destroy your own career. Idiot.

https://fishncanada.com/news/bass-tournament-organizer-gets-slapped-with-big-fine/

http://www.fisheast.com/

https://www.facebook.com/officialbenwoo/

Hmmmm this the same guys that wanted to ban fishing this spring? Remember this?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks