Minn Kota vs Motor Guide

the General

Looking to choose between Terrova 80lb with I Pilot I Spot versus the comparable Motor Guide motor.
I have a 55lb Minn Kota now with remote and foot pedal control.
Your thoughts? Thank you,

What electronics are you set up with? What kind of boat is it going on? Overall I like the motor guides better. Pin point rates better on anchor mode, head speeds are faster etc. More options re shafts, lbs of thrust etc. (In my opinion) but if your already set up to link your electronics with minnkota products switching may be an issue for you. I switched out from minkota to motorguide this year but didn’t have my old one linked to my electronics.

Well if you don’t need/want anything over 70lbs the new this year xi3 is awesome. Save some coin over the ix5. I have a 18ft prince craft and I’m putting the 70lbs 60” with gps/pinpoint package on mine. Replacing a shorter minnkota also 70lbs thrust. I have lowrance HDS Gen 3 so if I ever want to pay for the link it’s compatible. Good luck.

If linking to your chartplotter is a concern, Humminbird links to Minn-Kota and Lowrance links to Motorguide. I cannot believe they have not come up with an interface to allow us to mix and match but they haven't.

I bought the motorguide Xi5 last year and it is just awesome for our 19' alumacraft trophy, Made trolling with 2 guys very easy and the spot lock feature for deep water perching is the way of the future!

I bought one of the first ipilot terrova 80# I got 7 seasons with out a hiccup on a 19'tinner trolling,jigging and spotlock
Still going strong
Upgraded to a 112 for the new boat because it's a heavier boat

Motor Guide is badly losing the arms race! Almost every pro on the Flw tour and Bassmaster Elite series has switched to the Minn Kota Ultrex.

@hawgseeker you know what I spend a lot of time trying to learn from those pro guys (love the MLF shows too), but when it comes to brands I think it's all about who pays the best. Independent third parties are where the best reviews come from in my opinion but those are tough to find... That being said I'm sure the Ultrex is a *little* better than my 20 yr old transom mount!

I bought the motorguide Xi5 last year and it is just awesome for our 19' alumacraft trophy, Made trolling with 2 guys very easy and the spot lock feature for deep water perching is the way of the future!
I bought mine last year as well. How did I ever fish without it. Just the most amazing option you can add to your boat.

Anyone that's interested RadioWorld.ca in Toronto has the MotorGuide Xi5 80 lb. 24 volt and the 105 lb. 36 volt and others on sale. The Xi5 also qualifies for another $100 mail-in rebate from MotorGuide or the Xi3 for $50 purchased by June 17, 2018. Rebate redemption materials (serial number etc.) must be submitted electronically on www.motorguiderebate.com by July 15, 2018.

MotorGuide Xi5 80 lb. 60 in. w/Pin Point GPS & integrated sonar Sale: $1,749.99 (sale ends Mar. 25/2018)
https://www.radioworld.ca/mg-940800240

MotorGuide Xi5 105 lb. 60 in. w/PinPoint GPS & integrated sonar Sale $2,160 (sale ends Mar.25/2018)
https://www.radioworld.ca/mg-940800260

Bought my Xi5 80 lb. 60 in last year for my Starcraft 19 sfm. Never wet the anchor all season, the Xi5 would hold all day in the wind and waves. Same 100 dollar rebate was on last year and the cheque was in US funds.

Thanks everyone. I had talked with Josh at Angler's and you have confirmed what he told me. Better features and less price (Xi5 to Terrova).
MIght have to switch the Hummingbird for Lowrance.

Thanks everyone. I had talked with Josh at Angler's and you have confirmed what he told me. Better features and less price (Xi5 to Terrova).
MIght have to switch the Hummingbird for Lowrance.

Of course Jos will also sell you one of them too...New Gen 3 Carbon or maybe he'll even upsell you to a Simrad. That will make the new TM look cheap.

LOL. He sells both(all) but definitely leans to Lowrance. I have known that for years. That is why I appealed to my fellow fisherman and also searched the web, cause no one lies on the web. Also looked at lots You Tube videos.

I bought a terova 80 last year and they are awsome except for the head not engaging the shaft sometime and that is frustrating
Dave

Had lots of luck with the Humminbird, Minnkota and Cannon lineups from Johnson outdoor products. Any warranty issues i have had they have dealt with in good fashion. Certainly helps to stick with one manufacturer though. The Terrova i have has been fantastic.

I have allways run Minn Kota
My last two units had I pilot current unit is a Ulterra love the self deploy mode
Got a Lowarnce at front and Hummingbird on main no problems with neither
Im not a techy so do not care to hook up / link them
I buy my gear from my local shop , I own a small business and believe supporting small business even if the big name stores are a few bucks cheaper

I bought a traded in Minnkota Terrova 112 36volt with I pilot , very glitchy all season
Kept shutting off , replace 50 amp breaker as per requested but it still kept happening .
Errors started to show up on the remote
Checked online and it said the head needed to be replaced
Returned it when I pulled the boat out of the water at season end

Worked great when it did work

Always ran minn kota but build quality is suffering with the new units..cheap cheap. If you have a choice go with motor guide but like stated above your fish finder gps will probably dictate it

Back