Ministry of Finance

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
It's been over 3 years since I bought the Lund from a private sale. Now they just finally caught up to me seeing that no GST/HST tax was paid. Good thing I had filed all papers with Bill of Sale for proof of purchase.

But on the other hand my place of employment for almost 40 yrs and they are a Registered ISO company for many years just realized they don't have a copy of my Millwright licence:ROFLMAO:. That's approx. 25+ years since I've been licenced and will be retired in January 2018.

Been there before Jim. Given that it happened to you in 2017 I assume nothing has changed. I bought a used boat in 1981 and they asked for proof that I paid the sales tax in 1983.

Yep took 2 years for me as well but the tax man doesn't forget. Tssa wants their money every year. No money no license.

I concur. the tax collector came calling 2 years after I bought the Lund. I also had my records to prove that I already paid the tax.
Now if the wind would only go away so I can use the dang boat. LOL.

happened to me too Jimmy with my old boat. approx. 5 yrs after buying it i had to prove I paid the taxes on it. I sent them a photocopy and a nasty letter to go with it.

Same here after 4 years they asked to pay the tax
I did have all my paper work so sent it to them as proof
I did called them first make sure it was not a scheme
I also told the person that how can this be
As you can NOT change ownership and registration of the boat without paying tax first
She replied that the provincial government is to provide the federal government with the paperwork on tax collected and they lost the info !?
To me sounds fishy
But the burden of proof is on the owner
Im self employed and i had many bad experiences with the tax man even tho i was in the rigth and paid them i was to blame for them making a mistake and have my tax payment in a account siting and not applied
It took 6 weeks of my assets frozen and lawyer fees
On the end i got no apologies only oh well its too bad
Sorry all i get worked up when i hear about this stuff

They are sure on TOP of things 5 years for me boat, was sold before I got it...that is our government. Red!!!!

And make sure you register your boat in your name once you buy, they are checking big time for stollen.

Bought a "new to me" used boat this spring. Registered vessel electronically and when I went to the MTO to register the trailer I had the option of paying the tax on the boat then and there or I could wait to be billed for it. Figured they don't need my money now - so I will wait until they bill me. Given how fast the gov't works, and how they work - who knows - they may lose the fact I owe and I may never get billed. If they do send the bill - I will pay it when I get it. Shortly after - in talking to a friend - he just received his tax bill for his boat purchase - which he purchased a little more than 3 years ago. I am sure they will come calling.....

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks