Mildew/mould clean up

onmedic

took boat out of storage this morning. Place is not heated but nice, big fans run all winter. My cover has two vents, obviously not enough. My carpet must have been wet when it went it, can't remember. I have mildew, mould on carpet, seats, dash, its everywhere. Anyone come across some good clean up products or just years of experience has some tips for me? i'd really appreciate it.

Bryan

On the boat cleaning topic some good tips / product to make your boat shine like new / well almost new and a good hull wax.
thanks

http://www.slimygrimy.com/ Great Cleaner!

http://www.auroramarine.com/homex.html Great wax and protectant!

When you store your boat in the fall use any moisture absrob product out there. I buy mine from Dollarama. Basically the active ingredient is Calcium Chloride, a super hydrophillic substance. It will help keep the mould and mildew under control.
Michael

I just got my boat all cleaned up yesterday and I used spraynine cleaner from CT, warm water and a soft scrub brush, just spray the cleaner right on the dirty surface and srub with the wet brush and wipe with a wet clean rag. Real easy and it works good too and no harmfull chemicals to worry about.

Go with Spray Nine. You can even get it for marine specifically. Have to look for it though. I got some at CT. Worked nicely and not too expensive

hey Bryan Kirby here i like spray nine as well on vinyl mold and mildew soapy warm water mix works good as well but spray nine is great r u ready for the gobblers where u hunting this year ? get my # from Tara will catch up on hunting

thanks guys, tons of suggestions on the net with white vinegar and water mix. kills the mildew, no chemical. Anyone tried that?
Hey Steve.
Its been hit and miss, most of my places have been duds so far, do have a couple roosted though, i'll check in with you, talked to your hunting buddy the other day.
If you hunting with him, 10 to 12 roosted this morning, i could hear them plain as day, be early though, some flew down by 06:10! I'll call ya.

i used spray nine last year with the little bit of mildew i had but nothing like this, its everywhere. How do i get it off the carpet? what can i put on it, then shop vac?

Since mildew is a living organizim you have to kill it to ensure it will not come back. There is a 3m product called Mildew Stain reomver then there is a 3M mildew Blocker. Used them both and it has worked bor us where the mildew was in a fabric/carpet. Spray nine will work for hard surfaces but it did not seem to work for fabric. I also know that bleach works... but putting that on carpet.... you will need a new carpet by the end.

I used to detail cars for a living and the best thing that works on carpet whether it be in a boat or car is to scrub the carpet with a warm soap and water mixture then steam clean it up. Mix the steam cleaner water with a little vinager and get it nice and hot! I realize not everyone has a steamcleaner but you can rent one from homehardware or even some grocery stores rent them as well. That will get most stains out and the hot water and vinegar will kill the mould. Good luck

Mr. clean majic eraser. With a bleach and spray nine mix in the bucket. That will take care of anything organic. Just wipe with water after to save the stiching on the seats.

Fisher-Price

i'm all cleaned up! thanks for all your help.
One last thing. Whats the best way to prevent the mildew from coming back or at least lessening it, other than the obvious of dry and well ventilated. I need some sort of cover to eliminate dirt.

those are the key ingredients for mold , mildew is mold, u need a cover that allows your boat to breath, tarps contribute to trapping the moisture in your boat which mold loves

quote:
Originally posted by onmedic

i'm all cleaned up! thanks for all your help.
One last thing. Whats the best way to prevent the mildew from coming back or at least lessening it, other than the obvious of dry and well ventilated. I need some sort of cover to eliminate dirt.

Well, spill the beans, what did you use to get the job done??

quote:
Originally posted by Blastr

Bri. with all your $$ just buy new every year.

Blastr

Funny thats what I told him! ;)

Herefishyfishy

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks