Meat grinder

DaveJ

Im looking for a meat grinder. Not one of the crap ones that have plastic gears for occasional kitchen use. Im thinking one around 1-1.5 HP, 50 lbs per minute, that I can use at home but also next fall for doing deer butchering..our own group plus I may do some cutting for others. Not a massive one but something like this...and under $600

Thoughts, recommendations?

Attachments

• grinder.jpg
    grinder.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 7
You are on the right track...don't cheap out ! I have a small one made in Italy my wife bought me 25 or so years ago ,still
works great but a little small for bigger jobs. It replaced a cheapo unit I had and made a big difference !
Maybe check out a restaurant supply store in your area. Also unsure about the Bass pro and Cabela's models quality.
Good luck and happy grinding !
Just dug mine out, it's made by O.M.R.A. 1/2 hp and a #12 grinder

Last edited:
Maybe check MennoMex in Aylmer. They had LEM grinders at one point.

we use an attachment on a Kitchen Aid stand mixer and it works well for us but it not used for large loads but for a custom grinder for a few burgers it works great.

tip - to get the last bit of meat out of the grinder, feed it a couple a pieces of bread to push all the meat out and just turn off when you start to see bread crumbs

If you are handy, I'd look into motorizing a classic cast iron (or stainless version) grinder. Most are designs that have been made for decades, and the parts are kind of universal. The #32 size would be a nice overkill for your needs. Something like this (or the cast iron version is much cheaper).

I have a #22 size that runs off a 3/4 HP motor. It has a V-belt drive into a gear reduction and it makes quick work of 30 lbs batches of sausage, including fat that is a bit too frozen still. It would be sufficient for your needs I am sure, but I wouldn't want anything less, especially for products that aren't so well suited to continuous duty. Realistically people don't process 50 lbs a minute. Even with helpers, you won't grinding 500 lbs of meat from your hunting party in 10 minutes.

I think many people build them simpler, with just a V-belt and 2 pulleys to slow it down enough, but having the gear reducer is really sweet. I didn't build this one, but I have thought of rebuilding it and improving some details (notice I use a shim it to make the belt tight haha)

If you are handy, I'd look into motorizing a classic cast iron (or stainless version) grinder. Most are designs that have been made for decades, and the parts are kind of universal. The #32 size would be a nice overkill for your needs. Something like this (or the cast iron version is much cheaper).

I have a #22 size that runs off a 3/4 HP motor. It has a V-belt drive into a gear reduction and it makes quick work of 30 lbs batches of sausage, including fat that is a bit too frozen still. It would be sufficient for your needs I am sure, but I wouldn't want anything less, especially for products that aren't so well suited to continuous duty. Realistically people don't process 50 lbs a minute. Even with helpers, you won't grinding 500 lbs of meat from your hunting party in 10 minutes.

I think many people build them simpler, with just a V-belt and 2 pulleys to slow it down enough, but having the gear reducer is really sweet. I didn't build this one, but I have thought of rebuilding it and improving some details (notice I use a shim it to make the belt tight haha)

Ive seen setups like this..very well done. I was using a smaller setup similar but wanted to go with a stand alone unit so its more portable if I end up doing some custom cutting. Yours looks awesome

Thanks. Yeah, the motor on mine must be over 100 lbs on its own, its a pain to move. For something more portable I'd probably look for the used heavy duty/commercial types as others mentioned.

Check out Russell Hendrix Restaurant Equipment at 812 Dundas St 519-679-9350 Several different ones came up when I typed "meat grinder" into the search bar on their site.

saw this and thought some might be interested. We order from this company and delivery is fast and reasonable. Seems to be quite a sale price, almost 50%off, Reg $426.00 sale now $229.99. Combo grinder and sausage stuffer, 0.5 HP

Williams Omcan household meat grinder

1705152295112.png1705152295112.png

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks