marine weather

meridian

Just checked forecasts for next week , who do you believe .Windfinder says one thing ,Sailflow something else , Environment Canada different again .:LOL::LOL::LOL::geek:

Just checked forecasts for next week , who do you believe .Windfinder says one thing ,Sailflow something else , Environment Canada different again .:LOL::LOL::LOL::geek:
They always are, doesn't stop me from checking the 5 different sites I check, but as for who I believe....while all those sites maybe give some insight into what the wind and weather might do or might be doing.....when it comes right down to it........I believe what my own eyes are telling me.

Yeah, weather and wind predicting is far from an exact science (ya think it could be better but no...). And for us that are not immediate to the locales we hope to fish from, its a bit a crap shoot and gamble using any of the wind/weather sites. For me, Windy.com...this year, has been pretty good. Only once this season did I hit the water (yak attack) expecting certain, favourable conditions based on Windy and had to turn back.

I know, not much of an answer but...short of 'eyes on' like Trevor M is correctly stating, its a gamble. For me, I continue to develop my tolerances; the ranges of winds, waves and directions I can take...and, yeah, roll the dice.

King Joe Outa Here!

Yeah, weather and wind predicting is far from an exact science (ya think it could be better but no...)
Oh I dunno bout that King Joe. I've said it many times, they ALWAYS seem to get it right in the winter....they say it's gonna snow, it snows. They say there's gonna be squalls, there are. They tell us how strong and from which direction the wind will be blowing, and it's that strong and blowing from the direction they say it will be blowing from.

For some reason in the summer......unless it's a major storm system coming in.......they can NEVER seem to get it right, ever. If they could, we'd all be much happier with them. BUT, the winds are almost always blowing stronger and from a totally different direction than what they said they would be. Many times I'd check the forecasts, then leave the house trusting those forecasts only to get to the lake and find that what I just said to be the situation, and turned around and came right back home without even getting out of the truck let alone getting my gear out of it, because it wasn't fishable off the pier. So, I'll still check those sites, and the weather radar, but I started to trust my eyes more than I did the weather forecasts years ago. I figure if the trees are blowing around pretty good at home, like they are today, no sense going to the lake because it'll be worse there than it is here because more often than not, that's what I've found on arrival at the lake. Nice drive, but I wasn't going intending to just go for a nice drive. ;)

They always are, doesn't stop me from checking the 5 different sites I check, but as for who I believe....while all those sites maybe give some insight into what the wind and weather might do or might be doing.....when it comes right down to it........I believe what my own eyes are telling me.
You will always be right using your method Trevor. 👍

You can look but I mean is it ever really that accurate when looking a week out?
There’s been a number of times I went to bed with it saying one thing and wake up to it saying something completely different, and then get to the lake and it and is actually something different all together!!

You can look but I mean is it ever really that accurate when looking a week out?
There’s been a number of times I went to bed with it saying one thing and wake up to it saying something completely different, and then get to the lake and it and is actually something different all together!!
Happens all the time, that's why I said earlier I don't put much faith in any forecast more than 3 days out, and even then, I still always look the day of to make sure my eyes aren't telling me something different than those 5 sites I check before I go.

You will always be right using your method Trevor. 👍
Not so much about me being right gibby, as much as it is, hoping I am right when I get there. Sometimes I am, sometimes I'm not, but one thing that is almost a certainty every time I go, the weather forecasters didn't exactly get it right either.:wacky:

Weather forecasters only need to be right 50% of the time in order to keep their jobs. It's one of the safest professions really, they rarely get fired even when they call for light winds but turns out to be a hurricane. 😀

Weather forecasters only need to be right 50% of the time in order to keep their jobs. It's one of the safest professions really, they rarely get fired even when they call for light winds but turns out to be a hurricane. 😀
50 % ?
Can't get it rigth by looking out the window

I use windguru and “windy” 12 hours before making the drive. The averages between the 2 have so far this year been spot-on.

mid it the day of fishing, both are accurate to within an hour I find

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks