Make Your Own Decoys

paddle maker

I make a few a year, mostly to give away. I used to have a half dozen full body gees I would take out to the field, but they where so heavy I needed a wheelbarrow to get them out there. So I switched to silhouettes. I do a couple ducks and few sea gulls and some swans every year for people to put in there cottages and one thing another. Not a pro but I may be able to help with your questions

thestover

Been a while since on here. Ive carved hundreds of decoys over the years Mostly divers but puddle ducks also Used to shoot over 150 blocks down there years ago Fred salambier used to come out and take pics of our rig lol, I used white cedar for body and pine for heads and did lots of details Nothing floats like wood in rough water . Cheers

Old Cut LongPointer

Getting the keel just right is an art all on it's own. You want that deke to roll over and right itself no matter how you toss it. Glass eyes add great detail also.

thestover

I used to carve working blocks with Ralph Malpage and knew him well He said he carved over 20 thousand decoys over his lifetime I used his patterns and keel patterns also We would pour 2 3/4 inch holes in keel and fill with lead with a nail driver through They were big bodies and I remember tossing out a pile of divers and if they landed on back they would roll over well. That guy was a master carver for working blocks I learned alot from him. Ringneck decorator and can worker. Ralph passed a couple years ago.

Attachments

thestover

I know Ralph taught many a hunters I also knew Al Wragg and Al and Ralph hunted divers on lake st clair in the 50s 60s in a sneak boat Ralphs best story was hunting cans during hurricaine hazel in 1955 I beleive He had many many stories , A true outdoosman and gentleman. Nothing beats shooting over your own birds. Between my brother and I we have over 200 cedar blocks I started to hollow them out for a diet You needed alot of hp on boat to move !00 plus decoys lol. Heres a few in decoy room.

Attachments