Maitland Walleye Report

Fish Farmer

Got on the water just as it started to get daylight. Headed strait to the Island , laid out 2 rods flat-lining worm harness and 1 OZ snap got my first one between island and shore.20 FOW. I wanted to get to my Favorited spot on the east side so trolled threw the shallows till got to deeper side of the island.
Trolled up the 25 to 35' drop heading south half way to the can, and back, my screen lit up with fish. Got my fish trolling 200' back with a 1 1/2 OZ snap.
I tried jigin in one spot that I thought or could be Walleye, WRONG :eek: :banghead: Sheephead after Sheephead, was fun but not my target:D. Only 2 boats there was my buddy and myself, we like fishing solo. It's easier that way because of the snags you get sometimes. 2 rods each, one on each side keeps you busy..
All my fish where cookie cuter fish 4 to 5 LBS.
I found one spot that we stayed on back and forth seem to be a pod of Walleye, not Sheep.
Had my limit by 1 PM.

Attachments

• 71260680943__B0DD9291-31D9-4B34-823F-DD9166C7436B.jpeg
    71260680943__B0DD9291-31D9-4B34-823F-DD9166C7436B.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 69
@Fish Farmer... Glad to see you guys in the east end of Erie getting your share, great job. 👍🙂
Thanks Wave Runner. A buddy was trying to talk me into going to Burwell I've been there a few times, Could be a challenge by your self launching.
Hes been there twice this year and said it was lined up down the street and so many boats out there.
He had to filter through so many small fish, which is a good thing I guess.
Glad they started showing up shallow, flat ling with light tackle is fun.

Thanks Wave Runner. A buddy was trying to talk me into going to Burwell I've been there a few times, Could be a challenge by your self launching.
Hes been there twice this year and said it was lined up down the street and so many boats out there.
Yeah the launches can be a dog and pony show this time of year for sure especially weekends or holidays. I guess that's why us retirees try to avoid the weekend warrior show. ;) Through the week isn't too bad at Glasgow to launch. How is it down at Port Maitland?

The weekends have been a zoo down there I guess but I've gone every week on weekdays for the last 3 and have never had to line up to get in or out. Very little boat traffic either, we had maybe 5 boats in our general area yesterday and all the others were quite spread out as well. The average size of fish has gotten much better in the last couple of weeks with only a handful of throwbacks and limits of 18-24's with a good number over 24" each trip (we had 5 over 24 yesterday and the other 13 were all good sized too). The last 3 trips we've been flat lining crankbaits as well which is super nice and much more fun but that won't last much longer as the lake warms up and the thermocline moves deeper. Sadly we'll be back to divers, leadcores, and downriggers very soon.

Yeah the launches can be a dog and pony show this time of year for sure especially weekends or holidays. I guess that's why us retirees try to avoid the weekend warrior show. ;) Through the week isn't too bad at Glasgow to launch. How is it down at Port Maitland?
We have 5 launches on the Grand 3 up river near Dunville and 2 free launches at Maitland. I use the one near the mouth of Maitland.
Some guys use the pay ones near Dunville, less head ache but a long river drive to the mouth (lake)
As you say I try and only go week days put I have gone a couple times on a weekend only because of doable weather. I live an hour drive, Hamilton to Maitland so I get up early 3:30 to 4:00 am. get on the road around 5 am. If your a late riser it could be a sh!t show around the mouth with all the activity's, Sea do's, Kayaks, canoes, pleasure boaters, etc. also the parking.
Once you hit the lake you have lots of thoughts, where should I go, or where do I think the Walleye are today, Island, Tecumseh, Fingers or fined the Walleye Whisperer (Gilfisher) (y) (y):D .
I'm stuck on fishing lighter tackle so I like to fish the structures, but sometimes if I want fish I have to go deep.

Last edited:
Walleye whisperer 🤣🤣..I've learnt from the best ..you and the guys on this forum 😀..Next time out I'm bringing my spinning rods and setting up to jig . I figure if there is a good wally chop going on it will push the boat along to cover ground and rip erie dearies through the water column. There is nothing better than catching with light tackle 😀🍻🎣

Great fishing FF…I like your style

i have been fishing Burwell and Glasgow and I love it but nice to see them close to home.
my first Maitland run will be n the next few days

Good to hear your good fishing report @Fishfarmer 👍.
Would join you ,but fishing on Pigeon lake this week with kids and grandkids🎣🎣.
Maybe gonna try Maitland on Monday.
Thanks Fisherboat
I just checked Windfinder I'd be careful it doesn't look good for all of next week, but you never know things can change.
Great fishing FF…I like your style

i have been fishing Burwell and Glasgow and I love it but nice to see them close to home.
my first Maitland run will be n the next few days
Thanks reeltime.
I'd keep a eye on the weather for next week, I'm wanting to get back out next week to, I have a buddy that wants get out with me that wants a few for the freezer.

Walleye whisperer 🤣🤣..I've learnt from the best ..you and the guys on this forum 😀..Next time out I'm bringing my spinning rods and setting up to jig . I figure if there is a good wally chop going on it will push the boat along to cover ground and rip erie dearies through the water column. There is nothing better than catching with light tackle 😀🍻🎣
Sounds like a good idea Dave, I'll try and not bump into you buddy casting under your boat (y) :D:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Where are the fingers, I'm never sure if I've found them. @Fishfarmer
look for the 🤌 off of Port Maitland. That's what I see when I see it.

Champions League Football GIF by UEFA

Where are the fingers, I'm never sure if I've found them. @Fishfarmer
There you go Albert It's about 5 to 6 miles out from Maitland, thats a very old chart map I got from a comercial fisherman 50 years ago before they started the stupid metric system the chart is in Feet. It's the tip of the Maitland Bank

Attachments

• Maitland for Walleye Fingers.jpg
    Maitland for Walleye Fingers.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Erie (2).JPG
    Erie (2).JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
There you go Albert It's about 5 to 6 miles out from Maitland, thats a very old chart map I got from a comercial fisherman 50 years ago before they started the stupid metric system the chart is in Feet. It's the tip of the Maitland Bank
Did an amputee name that spot? Doesn’t look like my fingers.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks