Off Topic Lyme disease cases are rising in Canada: What to know about Tick bites

Get Hooked

Now that Stomps Members are now heading into the Bush to dig Ramps (Wild Leeks), hunting Morels which is coming up, hunting Wild Turkey (coming up) and heading to your favourite Rainbow Stream (coming up), Tick season has arrived.

This Article is about how Ticks spread Lyme disease, how to protect yourself, your kids and your pets from tick bites.

Did you know? Shania Twain has battled Lyme disease for two decades. At one point, the chronic illness came close to ending her remarkable music career. https://www.globallymealliance.org/blog/celebrities-with-lyme-disease

It's good to keep folks aware about ticks. I've been a bush guy for 60 years and last week alone did 6km in the bush and ravines where I hunt. I can only remember 3 times that I've had a tick on me and twice they where on clothing. My young Gkids now hike with me when they can and make sure they are tick free when we get home and have shown them a live one.
But really ticks aren't out there jumping on everything that moves. We go to Rondeau for two weeks every spring bird watching and only once found a tick.
I have a friend as well that contracted Lyme disease a few years ago and was unaware of the risk. Now he is.
Keep a few pair of needle tip tweezers in your vehicle and drawers and you'll be fine.

People should be vigilant about ticks. Our dog picked one up a few years ago in the backyard, with short grass. Birds can drop one anywhere. It's a good idea to get tick medication for pets as they can bring inside.

Pets like to lay around on the ground and are easy targets for ticks and of course if you get too close to bushes or tall grass the likelyhood of getting a tick on you increases. I know from experience mowing the grass on my riding mower and doing the edge I've gotten ticks on me. I've pulled off many ticks in my time and so far no problem probably because they were common Deer ticks also called American Dog Ticks and not the Blacklegged Tick which is the one that could possibly transmit Lyme disease. I say possibly because not all Blacklegged Ticks are carriers. Also the tick must be on you for 24 hours to exchange the bacteria so if pulled off right away there is almost no chance of catching Lyme Disease.

Good advice to follow; Using a Deet product to repell them and the right clothing will help. I find spraying it(Deet) around where I sit for Turkey hunting helps keep them off me but be careful as that stuff will eat the finish off the wood stock on your gun. At the end of your day or excursion is to throw your clothes in the dryer on High Temp for 15-20 minutes and that should cook them, do a physical Tick check and/or have a shower and make sure you check every nook and cranny ! Needless to say the less body hair you have the less places for them to cling to or hide in but that's a personal choice. Should you find one attached do not squeeze it (the body) when extracting but use a Tick Removal Key or tweezers that will grab it's head so that you pull it's mandible out with it. Should you fail to get it all out don't panic just wipe it with Peroxide or alcohol and/or apply a antibiotic cream to ward off infection. I suppose freezing the tick in a old pill bottle with the date/location label on it and keeping an eye out for that bulls-eye rash would be a prudent precaution. I believe your doctor can prescribe a one time dose of antibiotic as a precaution.

I treat all of my turkey camo with permethrin ahead of the season and can state for sure it works. My buddies are pulling ticks off their clothing and I almost never see one. It is a clothing only treatment, not meant for your skin and has to dry after you spray it on. Im not sure if its available in Canada, I pick it up at Walmart south of the border in my travels.

I use permethrin spray on my boots. Wonderful stuff. Kills ticks and spiders immediately when they come in contact with the boot. Lasts at least a month Per spray (unless you’re in water).

Had my first tickof the season wandering around on my hand. Give it a crush between my thumbnails. It was definitely a blacklegged tick. Which reminds me I'm now creeped out and need to go do a check for her little buddies!!

Why is there a vaccine for dogs but not humans ?

More than 40 different types of Ticks live in Canada, but only 2 types spread the bacteria that can cause Lyme disease in people: Blacklegged Ticks which we have in Ontario. Western blacklegged Ticks, common to British Columbia.

A vaccine for human Lyme disease is not currently available. There are clinical trials taking place in Europe and the U.S. Valneva and Pfizer have developed a Lyme disease vaccine candidate, VLA15, that is currently in Phase 3 human trials. This vaccine is designed to protect people against North American and European strains of the Lyme disease bacterium. The companies say they hope to have the vaccine licensed in 2025.

The only vaccine previously marketed in the United States, LYMERix®, was discontinued by the Manufacturer in 2002. Claims by some recipients that the vaccine induced a form of Arthritis. FDA analysis of side effects among vaccinated people found no evidence to support the allegation, LYMErix sales fell under the weight of the negative publicity and a class action suit. The manufacturer (renamed GlaxoSmithKline) withdrew the vaccine.

Here’s the one I prefer. Wish I could find some more.View attachment 72391

https://www.sawyer.com/where-to-buy

Says:
Bass Pro Shops
1 Bass Pro Mills Drive
Vaughan, ON L4K 5W4

but did a search on Bass Pro Canada and Cabelas and none listed. But found this:

Is permethrin spray legal in Canada?
Permethrin is not available as an insect repellent in Canada, but travel health clinics may be able to advise you on how to buy permethrin or permethrin-treated gear. It is used in other parts of the world to prevent insect bites. Aug 2, 2022

Just found on a local FB Group this Post: I was only in the woods 10 minutes and found a tiny male black legged tick on the back of my jeans with my roller brush. I keep a roller in my car and wouldn't have seen it if I hadn't used it!!
Be careful out there.

A great idea for using a Lint Roller.

Another: Last weekend in fingal we pulled off both dog and deer ticks….used deep woods tick spray the next day and no ticks. Off! Deep Woods Tick and Mosquito Repellent, Bug Spray is available at Walmart, Home Hardware and elsewhere.

Attachments

• LINT ROLLER.png
    LINT ROLLER.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
I think many people fail to realize just how small black legged deer tick nymphs are. Both of my kids over the last 2 years have had ticks removed, that tested positive. The one on my daughter was no bigger than the head on a ball point pen. My wife just happened to notice a mark when brushing her hair. I have a picture of it somewhere, I'll have to post it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks