Lower Niagara

Black Baron

Just asking if anyone here is planing on going to the lower Niagara in the next few weeks,
I have never fished there but has always been on my list.
Any info would be very helpful such as when the fall bite starts, and would love to know if there is any numbers in Walleye in there ?

Spend lots of time there as I grew up there and all my family still lives there. It's a bit early for consistent trout action but devil's hole should be pretty productive for salmon right now. As November rolls around the ArtPark drift can get really good for boat fishing on the US side. Queenston ramp side is a beauty drift as well and your only launch option. Expect lots of OOS Lakers(lots). Certainly some walleye there as well but your time is probably better spent targeting trout in the popular drifts although I did hook a nice walleye in the whirlpool casting spoons for kings a few weeks ago. If the fishing is good you'll probably see the boats in the popular drifts just get in line!

Thank you Steellee, where about is the devils hole ? I can’t find it in my charts.
It's above the Q/L bridge and beyond the dams. Like Tyler said the ride up is not to be taken lightly haha. You will see the bridge from the launch. It seems to me that even guides weren't going up as much last few years and focusing alot on drifts closer to the lake. This year and last water levels seem the most stable they have been in many years which usually means fish hold up further in the river so maybe devil's hole will be great again.. Again most of the pressure in on USA side in Devil's but there is lots of fish to be caught on our side as well. No matter where you fish in the river be ready to stay on your electric motor a lot to keep you on the drift

Checking on my gram in active captain it looks like the devils hole is not navigable with a regular outboard you probably need a jet drive.
but the queenstone and art park seem quite deep. I am going to hit it probably few weekends in November as soon as my new Bowmount shows up (purchased a new to me) Lund Baron. And my old ulterra is 60” and kind of useless, the new 72 Ulterra quest is on order and should be here hopefully next week . Thank you fellows. As always this forum is always helpful.

There is a visible line overhead at the powerplants that dictates the in-navigatable waters. I believe it's just uninsured and at own risk beyond that point but you do see a lot of traffic when fish are up there and Bc style jet boats still haven't really caught on (never understood why not). Hell in the past I have seen 9.9 hp tinners somehow make it to the whirlpool which is absolutely bonkers.
The middle is very deep at queenston and ArtPark but you want to stay on that shoreline shelf in the mid 20's just out of casting range from shore guys.(Anglers on our side will let u know if your close with their pencil weights lol) US side is more center pinners or fly guys that fish tight to shore so boats can fish tighter.
The bottom end of ArtPark drift opens up a lot and drops to 40's but that's where a lot of the steelhead seem to be caught. You will learn the ins and outs of your new trolling motor very quick and probably have a lot of fun there in November. Make sure you bring a lot of pencil weights or slinkies of at least an ounce or more to keep your offering in the drift.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks