Lowbanks Mohawk Pt Report.

Fish Farmer

Buddy and myself was out today at the A Frame off Lowbanks Mohawk Pt., nada fish. Was a job getting out because of shove ice.
We started in 10 FTW and work ourselves out to 22 FTW ice was really rough and hard to walk on.
Didn't want to go much farther, didn't look good.
As we walked out we hit some smooth crystal ice, you could see through to the bottom, ice was 12" thick.
We could see sand then rocks, as we passed over the sand we saw some type of fish that looked to be 15 to 20" swiming under foot,
they looked dark with a fork tail with large fins. We told Mike at Mohawk marine and he had saw the same fish out front of his place,
he said there was hundreds, swimming in schools. We didn't have a clue what they were. One other spot we drilled we saw lots of Smelts,
that wouldn't take our micro jigs with Gulp maggots.
Picture taken from my truck of the ice out front of the A Frame, Picture below.
Other was taken from out in the lake looking in.

Last edited:
Fish Farmer, the fish you saw under the Ice to be 15 to 20 inches long are likely American Gizzard Shad, quite common to the Great Lakes.I am not a Fish Biologist by any means,but they sounded familiar to the way that you described them. That shove Ice does look unsafe!! Long Point Bay Ice would be a little Safer for walking on. Finally, the Arctic Temperature`s are leaving us for now, and hopefully the Perch & Pike will be Hungry on Long Point Bay.:)

Fish Farmer, the fish you saw under the Ice to be 15 to 20 inches long are likely American Gizzard Shad, quite common to the Great Lakes.

Yes you could be right Eric, never thought about those.
They weren't interested in what we had for bait, they just swam by.
I thought I would try Mohawk because we do well there in the summer. We never saw a Perch. But I tell you, the ice travel was brutal. My buddy is going out today at St. Williams, Ill be calling him in a couple hours to find out how he's doing.

That shove ice is scary stuff. Too bad the smelts wouldn't hit, their tasty buggers.
That's what I said to my buddy. I would have loved a feed. They just bumped our jig and left, we even tried yarn and nada.
Wished I had my Scud flies with me.

thats awsome to here fish farmer , i got a few places around peacock i would like to try when i get home hope the ice holds up for the 19th feb, when i have to leave this godforsaken mexican heat lol

thats awsome to here fish farmer , i got a few places around peacock i would like to try when i get home hope the ice holds up for the 19th feb, when i have to leave this godforsaken mexican heat lol
By the looks of the fish you catch in your avatar, why would you want to come back to this cold, snow and small Perch.:LOL:
There'll be lots of ice when you get back, fish is another thing, I might catch them all before you get back:LOL::LOL:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks