Loosing fish at the boat. Why?

Bassassin

I am always hearing about guys going 7 for 9 or 9 for 11 etc. I can honestly say that since going to a larger rubberized net we haven't lost a fish netting it in the last 5 years. For all the longlining guys with years of experience, why do you think fish, usually Walleye are lost at the boat? Net too small, bad net job, head shakes, dull hooks? All of the above? Why are so many lost? I would loose it myself besides the fish. I'm used to lifting Smallies, smaller perch and garbage fish if there is such a thing right into the boat, I don't think I will try one of these Erie Walleye though.

The majority off the fish lost at / near boat are usually with dipsys or leadcore......sometimes dipsys don't release other times they make it difficult too keep preasure on lure and fish are able too throw / spit the hook.
with leadcore....you have anywhere from 300-600' of line out...and by time you get fish too the boat the lure has worm a big hole in the fish's mouth, that as soon as there is any slack the lure will pop out

I agree with the above post and I thing guys try to life the fish out of the water to far instead of keeping its head down in the water till the net guy can get it ,,Dutch

I lost my post somehow. I like the rubberized nets, I get a better feel for the fish. I try and ask the newer guys to get that rod butt in their bellies and the tip up straight. 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock. Keep that line tight, tight, tight. If there is room fight the fish to one side or the other side of the motor at the back of the boat. I like the opposite side of the kicker. When the fish comes out of the water keep that line tight and relax. I will tell you which side and just walk backwards. Usually they get all f'd up when they see what a world class Walleye looks like and start to loose it. "That's the biggest Pikrel I ever seen!!!!", " Holy shite that things 15 pounds !!!!". I gotta mount that beast!!!!".

Then they think they are on the Kawarthas and drop the rod to the side, bye, bye World record, goodbye dinner.

Plus all the things mentioned above but #1 for me is guys flipping out when they see a real Pic not the fish flipping out. when they see my guest.

heres my experience with loosin the odd walleye at the boat...light biting large walleye can get off at boat side either the hook pulls out or the hook is head shaken out...you well know you can get your best fight right there as the boat and or motor spooks the fish and they try there best... fighting to get off...thats why the odd fish doesn't make it in the net at boat side

Ok . Ive been fishing lake erie for 5 years and the best thing I've ever done to stop walleye from getting off at the boat is to switch hooks to Mustad trebles . These hooks are lethal . Very sharp so be careful . Prior to switching I noticed that walleye would be hooked by the skin in there mouth because the hooks didn't penetrate very far . Large walleye have a lot of bone in there mouth . These Mustad hooks penetrate right through the upper jaw of a large walleye and they are very strong . Meaning they don't straighten . Ive had that happen . Try it you will be amazed .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks