Looking to buy a Kayak paddle for x-mas gift, need advice

Centerspin

Hey guys, any kayakers out there? My son bought a used clearwater design sit in kayak ( I think the model is Nunu, 9 or 10 ft long) end of summer. He s been using it a few times when it was warm and really liked it just for paddling up and down river and the weight is great as he carries it to the river without a cart, but complained about the paddle it came with. I am thinking of getting a nicer paddle for him for X-Mass. Any good brands/ styles you d recommend and places to buy? between Toronto and London ( I am close to K-W)? I see that Mec has nothing in the stores at the moment but a decent selection online. I heard carbon fibre paddles are good.

Nice, those stingrays look imressive. Is there much difference between hybrid snd carbon, is it worh extra $60? Mec has hybrid but not carbon and sail has only 230 cm. My son is close to 7 ft tall, his yak is 32"wide. Should i get 240 cm or even 250?

Hey @Centerspin , I'm still new to the kayak world with 1.5 seasons under my belt. I've got a few paddles now and I'm looking to pick up a new one this winter that I think might work for your son. The pelican catch, at 260 cm its a bit longer for a tall guy. It only weighs in at 2.14 lbs, so nice and light for a longer paddle. Cheap too. Good luck with your shopping. Ben

Nice, those stingrays look imressive. Is there much difference between hybrid snd carbon, is it worh extra $60? Mec has hybrid but not carbon and sail has only 230 cm. My son is close to 7 ft tall, his yak is 32"wide. Should i get 240 cm or even 250?
Sail in Cambridge had some 250 cm
But they where a different make and double the price of there 230 cm

I have gone kayaking for the first time a week ago.... it was in a 34 " wide .sit-on...I used 220 cm paddles that where given to me .

Although they worked good ... water kept dripping off onto my pant legs and inside yak

I was thinking a longer paddle would help that
For me I would probably go 240 but I'm a short guy

So I'm guessing 250 would probably be ideal for your son .... but I'm no expert

Sail in Cambridge had some 250 cm
But they where a different make and double the price of there 230 cm

I have gone kayaking for the first time a week ago.... it was in a 34 " wide .sit-on...I used 220 cm paddles that where given to me .

Although they worked good ... water kept dripping off onto my pant legs and inside yak

I was thinking a longer paddle would help that
For me I would probably go 240 but I'm a short guy

So I'm guessing 250 would probably be ideal for your son .... but I'm no expert
Did your paddles have the rubber stoppers on the shaft? If not that's why you were getting wet. If so make sure they are right up against the blades. TC

Did your paddles have the rubber stoppers on the shaft? If not that's why you were getting wet. If so make sure they are right up against the blades. TC
I wax my kayak paddle blades with regular car wax and the water falls right off
. You can also place a short length of tape hanging off the blade at the paddle shaft. The water will run down before reaching your stopper.
Hope this helps .

Great advice guys

But the water was dripping off the blade onto my legs... I will make sure rubber stops are at the end ....maybe I was digging in to aggressive, but thout the blade should stay outside the yak and that's why I think a longer paddle is needed

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks