Fishing Report Looking for walleye and Bows

Moosehead

Im thinking about heading out of Burwell tomorrow for some pickerel and hopefully a bow or 2. I don't have a lot of experience fishing pickerel in bur well but do have Dipsey rods and lead core as well as down riggers. Can you guys suggest what my best set would be for pickerel. Bows no prob. Also if any one has been fishing them how many fow and straight out of the marina.
I appreciate all help and suggestions.
cheers

Althoug I'm not sure where the large #'s of walleye are yet (out a month ago -only silvers, been salmon fishing last couple weeks) but hope to get down for walleye in a week or 2 If i was going out now....I would start in 60 fow and get lures in the 30-45' range.....until mark or notice a patern!!!

I have best success with dipsy's (walker 107 deep diver on #3) out each side of boat. I usually set then @ 90 & 120' back to start !! generally i use a 5-7' leader from dipsy to lure. I would start with Ripplin redfin on one and a nascar or pink panties on other (i perfer copper or yellow back)

I usually dont use down riggers for walleye, but lots of people do (try 50' lead ) and set your ball in the 40-45' range.
I usually run 8 & 10 colour lead cores off the back corners, but i am starting to experiment allot more with in line planers. I would run a body bait on one and spoon behind small flasher on the other.

Don't be afraid to run your favorite lures for other species of fish, before running out and buying every lure mentioned on forum. Greasy chicken, blueberry muffin, yellow tail, silver blue. are all productive colour patterns as is nascar, piston, cup pink panties and allot more.
Last year i caught fish with: shiners, gobies, and perch in there stomachs, so anything in similar pattern should work.

Hope this gives you a starting point, and welcome too the forum

Thanks puddle jumper! I appreciate your advice. Seems like a matter of just getting out and and finding them.....
Cheers

I'm a big fan of lead core I run 4 lines of lead core 2 on in line boards and the other 2 go straight out one on each side if I have 3 people I then run 2 on the riggers but I find the lead core out fishes the riggers big time gold black rippling red find and silver blue red fin are my go to lures also like nascar and candy corn spoons

Hi there @Moosehead...I must say that Puddle Jumper and Teddy69 gave you some helpful details on trolling equpment usin dipseys riggers and leadcore... they also gave you a nice overview on there personal preferences to lure selection that they had success with in the past...

I was reading your post and you mentioned about going out of burwell tomorrow...well...I hope you have realized that a brutal cold front has moved in today with severe NW wrap around winds....this system is a typical cold front to produce wind gusts out of the North shore onto lake erie to cause undersible fishing conditions to catch walleye...I would like to explain to you that you really need to pick your days to fish out on erie safely, effectively and successfully...i believe in the moon phase time tables in relating to the best times being out on the water fishin.
So for starters you need to look at our helpful marine weather reports with the current conditions! I suggest go on line and click on Enviroment Canada great lakes map and click on the central red box for Port Stanley weather buoy current conditions...take a look at the post hourly winds posted in knots...read the forecast...your lookin for favourable fishin conditions with trend setting light and variable winds...a light south west can be exceptional conditions for fishin/catchin walleye... I also have had great success with light offshore winds..after a big blow it takes a couple days for the lake to settle and the scattered fish to gather...also water temperature is extremely important for bait and gamefish to gather also take a look at windfinder and type in Port Burwell...they have a personalized report for marine weather out from there...i make it a rule i go out 10 knots or less..there is also sailflow with a nice erie map to look at....

so after you look at the marine weather reporting... its your decision whether you go out or wait for favourable trend setting conditions...i keep my handheld VHF marine radio in the house and listen to it in my bedroom and get up periodically to listen to hourly updates for the stanley weather buoy..it is a very helpful site on a pre planning a trip..if there is chatter about chance of any storm brewing...i go on exeter radar and check it out...I hope that helps so good luck out there and be safe...

Last edited:
Hi there @Moosehead...I must say that Puddle Jumper and Teddy69 gave you some helpful details on trolling equpment usin dipseys riggers and leadcore... they also gave you a nice overview on there personal preferences to lure selection that they had success with in the past...

I was reading your post and you mentioned about going out of burwell tomorrow...well...I hope you have realized that a brutal cold front has moved in today with severe NW wrap around winds....this system is a typical cold front to produce wind gusts out of the North shore onto lake erie to cause undersible fishing conditions to catch walleye...I would like to explain to you that you really need to pick your days to fish out on erie safely, effectively and successfully...i believe in the moon phase time tables in relating to the best times being out on the water fishin.
So for starters you need to look at our helpful marine weather reports with the current conditions! I suggest go on line and click on Enviroment Canada great lakes map and click on the central red box for Port Stanley weather buoy current conditions...take a look at the post hourly winds posted in knots...read the forecast...your lookin for favourable fishin conditions with trend setting light and variable winds...a light south west can be exceptional conditions for fishin/catchin walleye... I also have had great success with light offshore winds..after a big blow it takes a couple days for the lake to settle and the scattered fish to gather...also water temperature is extremely important for bait and gamefish to gather also take a look at windfinder and type in Port Burwell...they have a personalized report for marine weather out from there...i make it a rule i go out 10 knots or less..there ia also sailflow with a nice erie map to look at....

so after you look at the marine weather reporting... its your decision whether you go out or wait for favourable trend setting conditions...i keep my handheld VHF marine radio in the house and listen to it in my bedroom and get up periodically to listen to hourly updates for the stanley weather buoy..it is a very helpful site on a pre planning a trip..if there is chatter about chance of any storm brewing...i go on exeter radar and check it out...I hope that helps so good luck out there and be safe...
Great advise on the weather I'll add when I check the port Stanley bouy i double the posted wave hight ie. If it's saying 1 foot waves I figure that they are 2 foot waves when it all comes together wind tactics and bit of luck it's an awesome fishery have fun be safe maybe talk to you out there on 68 on the radio

Great advise on the weather I'll add when I check the port Stanley bouy i double the posted wave hight ie. If it's saying 1 foot waves I figure that they are 2 foot waves when it all comes together wind tactics and bit of luck it's an awesome fishery have fun be safe maybe talk to you out there on 68 on the radio
Weather bouy is in metric...but seems when it says .3m it looks almost like 3 feet from the boat.... .5 - .6 is limit for me trolling, passengers are not feeling well long before that.(wife and dog feel ill @.3-.4) 20ft boat

Weather bouy is in metric...but seems when it says .3m it looks almost like 3 feet from the boat.... .5 - .6 is limit for me trolling, passengers are not feeling well long before that.(wife and dog feel ill @.3-.4) 20ft boat
When you check the bouy from link on this forum it's in feet not metric

@Just Chillin... just to clarify, the buoy registers wave height in ft. not meters.

@Teddy69 is also right about doubling that figure to obtain actual wave height.

Wind Direction (WDIR): NNW ( 340 deg true )
Wind Speed (WSPD): 9.7 kts
Wind Gust (GST): 11.7 kts
Wave Height (WVHT): 1.0 ft
Dominant Wave Period (DPD): 2 sec
Atmospheric Pressure (PRES): 30.03 in
Pressure Tendency (PTDY): +0.05 in ( Rising )
Air Temperature (ATMP): 66.9 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 70.3 °F
Combined plot of Wind Speed, Gust, and Air Pressure

Absolutely not. Just got home and there wasn't a white cap in sight. Perfect walleye chop just not very many walleye. We hit one 3 lb at 54 fow on a worm harness down 20ft and that was it. Seemed to be more windy the closer u got to shore though. Not trying to argue just stating what it was like.

perfect walleye chop? is not so perfect for a 3 lb walleye...lol..sounds like the cold front blues to me..and with a brisk head wind coming back in..

there is all kinds of reading on why lake Erie walleye shut down after a severe cold front...

Last edited:
  • If that's how ya see it from home I guess your rite then. Talked to a few charter captains today and they say that's not the case. The walleye just haven't showed up here in numbers yet aparently, and there just starting to see good numbers of perch. I wasn't into running out to 70fow to try today so in we went. Was a hell of alot better then sitting at home wishing I was fishing though. Cheers mick pick another argument im not interested

I don't argue and I don't fish cold fronts!

FYI the large spawened out walleye have moved into the central basin over 2 weeks ago..
perch have been here for weeks..my neighbour is sick of cleanin them...lol

yep I am at home... still recoopin from fishin the hot n heavy rainbow action I had solo on thursday landing 9 trout and lost 2..it was a tiring day bein on the water at 5:30 am huntin for a large spawned out hen...I have an erieau derby ticket valid till next Sunday...largest walleye is only 10.20 lbs there are 13 pounders out there
I will be back at it soon..I got till sunday to find one...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks