Looking for Suggestions for Next Year's Marsh Maintenance - Sat. Nov. 9th

singlemalt

The board of directors of the LPWA are looking for suggestions of where and how to direct our efforts around marsh maintenance and improvement. We have a pretty good budget to work with but want to make sure it is spent where it is most effective. We will hold a short meeting in the Unit Office at 1:00PM on Saturday November 9th. Everyone is welcome to attend and offer your suggestions. If you have ideas but can't be there please email lpwa@kwic.com.

It would be helpful to have a few more walk-out blinds. It seems that from this year's stats the walk-outs are getting a lot of use.

I agree. Walkouts will attract the newer generation of hunter. These young lads don't have the money for boats etc and are limited on their blinds. Perhaps digging out pond at 41 and 43

I agree. Walkouts will attract the newer generation of hunter. These young lads don't have the money for boats etc and are limited on their blinds. Perhaps digging out pond at 41 and 43

I've suggested a pond at 43 for a couple years now. It may happen. Although, now that you have to walk to 41 first then over to get to 43, you might need to bring a pack mule with you. Apparently blind #9 is a walk out that you can't walk to. Not sure where else you could put walk outs without either creating new access points/parking areas or learning to walk on water.

I also notice that quite a few people who use the walk outs have access to boats. They just choose not to use them.

Perhaps some thought could be put into providing some sort of decoy stash at the walk-in's. Some of the blinds are a fair distance to walk
as well, some have a lot of mud and water to wade through. I know there may be some draw backs and problems with doing this (ie-decoys
being stolen etc.) but as we hunters age we seem to be carrying extra weight out to the blinds and not having decoys on our backs would be
helpful.

I would like to see blind 21 cleaned out for access. Plus maybe a few more in the marsh opened up a bit. A great job was done on 18 and 19 this year. Trying to make a deeper hole on blind 43 would be great. Also would it be possible to add a couple of more blinds somewhere in the marsh. Just a thought.

I would second brokenwing's suggestions. As well, i can't be the only one who doesn't have a mud motor who really has trouble accessing some of the blinds in the inner bay and on the inside. I am not sure how deep the cookie cutter can cut channels but it would be really nice to have a nice deep channel cut to all the blinds/points so that even a guy like me can get there and then get out if need be rather than churning mud all the way in/getting stuck etc. I for one would volunteer to help with this job and I am sure others would as well. Also, a nice deep channel to 27 and 22 would be great.

Mistake there I was refering to blind 23 and not 21.
Hello Brokenwing and Riverduck. Firstly, the cookie cutter can only control weeds that grow in channels and ponds. Silt must be managed mechanically with a shovel, dozer or sand sucker. It cost over $15,000 to remove silt from the ponds and channels at 21, 22, 26, 27, 18 and 19 prior to this 2013 season. We spent about $5,000 on the Cookie Cutter. We were advised that 23 was a lost cause after digging it out twice before. The people who should know like Jim Granger described it as a silt trap. The water was high enough this year to permit people who wanted to hunt it to go there but the LPWA has given up maintaining it. At $20 a pop it would take 1000 hunts to cover what was spent on maintenance this season alone . The last LPWA banquet and Ducks Unlimited paid the bills for this years efforts because the hunting fee only covers day to day expenses. Ducks Unlimited help to maintain the marsh up to $6000 a year and Delta Waterfowl also throw in a percentage of their Norfolk Banquet revenues. Money received through grants is spent to improve the marsh but we rarely benefit directly because the project objectives don't often consider us hunters. Since improving the marsh for waterfowl, fish, people and other wildlife including threatened species is important we always get directly involved and lead most of the time. It's probably safe to say that the Unit would no longer exist if it were not for the LPWA. That being said it would probably no longer exist without the support of the OMNR, OFAH, DUC, LPW, Delta, LPWA supporters and a whole bunch of people I probably didn't mention. A huge amount of effort has been put into saving the Crown Marsh over the last 20 years .

Hi Duck Soup,
Thanks for the reply. Please don't get me wrong. I appreciate all the work that has gone into maintaining the hunting in the marsh. I only just became a sustaining member but plan to continue. What is there right now is great and I have hunted many of the blinds and points. My only issue is accessing some of the spots. My vote still goes to keeping the ponds and channels free from silt so they can be as easily accessed as possible. In my opinion, my vote is no different from those who would like to see more walkout blinds because that enhances their hunting experience. Too bad about #23 because I had some good hunts there. I am more than willing to help in this process so please post up any needs for volunteer labour you need in order to keep our marsh great.

Thanks,
Chris

Hello Duck Soup,

That was a very good financial "reality check" for everyone using the LPWMU and not just waterfowlers!

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks