looking for reccomendations on hunting crossbows..

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I have been seriously thinking switching gears from my many years of gun powder big game hunting here in parts of Canada.. to hunting with archery equipment...Ya Have i lost my mind..lol..No .its a fact.. My personal goals is to continue hunting ontario spring black bear in my vast areas far north.. And for deer in October and the second week in Nov. here at home in 92D, where I still retain landowner permission with 2 of my favourite propertys I know well.

I have owned 2 scopped excaliburs for years.. the old Wolverine & Phoenix models..and I never got serious & hunted with them..
I don't like them for one, the horizontal limb is to wide and bulky cumbersome for one..and feels to heavy to me..
My circle of huntin buddies ..and only one has an older ten point crossbow and its way to heavy...it is a shooter killing local deer & turkeys for a long time..

I read excalibur has recently come out with a newer model of the micro 335 called the micro 355.. it says its compact and says it weighs 5.2 lbs..( maybe without the scope?) I was considering calling excalibur to ask whats the next new model coming out with..ya its just like cell phone models..i think most of us are not chasing the next best thing..but improvements can be a good thing..
any reccomendations or tips or words of wisdom with crossbows hunting with archery equipment would be appreciated..arrows hunting broadheads
close range precision accurate shooting with an arrow for best kill shot..I know my way around a scope and a range finder..but

ya I am looking at a new crossbow purchase...accurate light compact scopped..my #1 target is big spring black bear next spring...the best and only choice is hunting over bait in a comfortable tree stand..yes I have killed 2 spring quebec black bears from the tree stand with my rifle..spot n stalk 2 as well here in spring ontario... you guys should try spring black bear huntin...there is plenty of black bear..the crown lands and countless lakes & rivers is outstanding beauty.. and the fishing is world class in some of the remote lakes..ya the kicker is in the spring..last 2 weeks of May...

any helpful thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated..I want to aquire good reliable accurate equipment..nothing less..
I hope to get some help and figure out what to buy...then a matter of where...and when.. January and after is sometimes getting a reduced price with leftover stock..

I would appreciate hearing from you experienced archery hunters including @Elmerfudd

Last edited:
I have hunted with compound bows for 20 years, loved every one i had,
i moved to cross bows 7 years now, i also like them ,
As for brand and model, many hunters differ brands, and models, I would suggest pick based on speed for 1, versatility for #2, and weight if you plan on stalking a lot, most crossbows of course come with the little brackets to use a sling.
I am a budget shooter, i will knock down just as many deer as the guy with the fancy new model crossbow.
I currently have a centerpoint elite 370 sniper, i bought 2 of them, one for my kid and one for Myself, My boy has not shot his in over 9 months, and it's only been dialed in, with less than 10 shots, I'll put it up for grabs for $400, comes with what normal crossbows come with, detachable quiver, 3 bolts, field tips, scope, cocking rope, and manual, and what tools came in box, currently it's on Cabelas for $479 plus, plus.
By the sounds of it, you fancy the excalibur brand, very decent expensive bows, my friend has the micro, it does seem very good in the size and weight department. Can't go wrong with that company, But again, does price matter when it's up to the hunter to pull the trigger? IMO get what you want. buy it once and do it the right way.

Thanks for your the informative reply SOS. much appreciated

I will have to check out the specs & hilights on the centrepoint elite 370..

Excalibur for sure
I use Excalibur micro suppressor
Basically the micro 355 with silencing accessories and a camo rail
They have newer models since they are all good
The newer take down series have a little more arrow speed and have the ability to be disassembled without having to site in the scope again
Seems pretty neat not sure how much I’d trust it at first. That would need to be earned lol

I have the Excalibur raid 335 micro....nice and small at the limbs...not bad for weight either...came with everything packaged deal from new....the micros are alot smaller than the older ones by quite a bit

Thanks boys with the positive responses with your Excalibur micros..I also received a message from another happy excalibur owner shooter reccommending a couple of local bow shops that carry the excaliburs and offer a shooting range..

Antler river archery
And archers nook

I bought my bows from
Antler river great customer service.
and when you’re there stop at BJs for sandwich so good!

Thanks Derkd..ya I been into archers nook awhile ago..they had several display models hanging from the rack..I am pretty sure at the time you had the option to shoot what your possibly looking for in the adjacent range..

just wondered what you guys are using for a crossbow scope..and whats your shooting range max capabilitys..
i have experienced more black bear activity at last light..but not always..the option of turning on an illuminated recticle or red dot would be a good option choice..
I need another quality range finder specifically for shooting from the tree stand too..

just shopping for a good scope this one is illuminated and available at ontario archery supply

Hawke XB1 1.5-5x 32 SR Crossbow Scope​

Last edited:
I use the Excalibur tact zone illuminated scope that’s what came with my crossbow
It has markers out to 60
I’ve practiced shooting that far
But 40 yards it is my limit for shooting at deer.
I like the illumination for first light and last light helps a lot

Ya Derkd 40 yd range max sounds about right..for black bear too

can you mention what bolts/arrows you shoot? and Broadheads..Ya It sounds like you got a pkg deal with everything needed to get started..

after i figure out what crossbow I like...I want to possibly avoid the pkg or possibly exchange some items...a good scope I really like, and shoot the best arrows and broadheads..

I don't know whats better on arrow selection.. i heard pros and cons for both aluminum and carbon fibre shafts...the solid muzzy broadhead might be a good choice for bear..the arrow & broadhead weight needs to be right for flight..

ya I am started to look now..then make a list and hope for a few boxing day sales..

Hey @mick sorry for late response
I buy the Excalibur trust me Quill black eagle arrows
Carbon fibre not aluminum
Think they’re 16.5” that’s the size you need for the micro series crossbows
There are pro versions of them suppose to be perfect arrows
Cost a lot more
Not sure how much more accurate you can get tho
Shoot very nice groups with the regular arrows
I buy the Excalibur broadheads 150grain fixed blade

I used the rage mechanical broadheads the one season
After a premature deployment and a lost deer with a huge gash in its side ( I know this because I got trail cam footage of her later in the winter)
Decided to switch to fixed blade.

Checkout the Excalibur forum and their classifieds. Ever since Bowtech bought Excalibur they’ve been releasing too many models annually which means there’s plenty of lightly used crossbows available.

I have a Bulldog 400, Excalibur scope and shoot Zombie Slayer bolts (.001” straightness) which makes up a very accurate package. I regularly practice at 75 yards, logic being if I can shoot good groups at that range then the shots at typical deer ranges (40 yards or less) will be easy. Works well.

thanks ch312 for mentioning the excalibur...

if I did consider a excalibur model..I most likely purchase a new one with the warranty..
I remember my very first excalibur...the wolverine with 2 piece limbs..one of the limbs camo paint cracked vertically several times...excalibur replaced it within a couple days right where I bought it..
the best route is brand new with the warranty..its a competitive market..alot of sporting goods companys now offer free of manufacturing defects lifetime warranty..repaired or replaced...and i haven't had an arguement yet over failed equipment fix..

ya I agree theres too many model choices..its improvement marketing to increase sales..

Ya Derkd I called antler river archery today and spoke to a James about excaliber micro crossbows..just like ch312 mentioned about to many models..now excalibur doesn't offer the 355 and 335 other then some left over stock,,,they now offer the micro in 340...lol

hey is your 355 fairly easy to cock..James said there was complaints it was too heavy to cock and it was discontinued..replacing it with the 340..

anyway I should be able to get outfitted with what I want from there..including the Hawke illuminated scope..carbonfire arrows and illuminated knocks..he reccomended exodus 100 grain fixed broadheads for bear..they do have a good rating..James says he has harvested archery bears...seems like a good spot to start..

i Have the tact zone 2 model, from excalibre on my centerpoint, It's ok, far better than a lot of others, but still not too impressed with it, i am still searching for a better one. does the job, but could be better in low light conditions with gather enough light to see your target. ,
Here is a killer deal on a scope right now at cabelas.ca. same as i use for a hell of a deal. https://www.cabelas.ca/product/45769/excalibur-tact-zone-crossbow-scope

Ya Derkd I called antler river archery today and spoke to a James about excaliber micro crossbows..just like ch312 mentioned about to many models..now excalibur doesn't offer the 355 and 335 other then some left over stock,,,they now offer the micro in 340...lol

hey is your 355 fairly easy to cock..James said there was complaints it was too heavy to cock and it was discontinued..replacing it with the 340..

anyway I should be able to get outfitted with what I want from there..including the Hawke illuminated scope..carbonfire arrows and illuminated knocks..he reccomended exodus 100 grain fixed broadheads for bear..they do have a good rating..James says he has harvested archery bears...seems like a good spot to start..
I'd stay away from hawke scopes, just my 2 cents.

well thanks for the scope quotes SOS...

I want a good quality accurate great clarity glass illuminated cross bow scope... for low light last light bear in the woods..ya its dark in there
the price is the price and its not the deciding factor for me

I have trusted leopold for years..they don't offer one..
trijicon illuminated also comes to mind..

If you're worried about the width of the bow you'll want to go with a compound.

Personally, I have a PSE Fang LT. It doesn't get much use, and is simply a backup for when my back won't tolerate the compound. I can tell you it is a tack driver and holds tight groups out to 50 yards which is way farther than I would ever shoot a deer because they can move a lot before the bolt/arrow gets there. The Fang is a cheap bow and although it works for me it is not for everyone. Every nut and bolt on the bow needs to be removed and loctite applied or it will fall apart!

Try not to get caught up in the specs. Any of today's modern bows will shoot a respectable grouping at deer-killing distance and get the bolt there on time. In my opinion, 40 yards is an absolute maximum kill distance on a deer with a bow and 50 feet per second either way is not going to help you much in terms of how far the deer can move to duck the arrow before it gets there. I won't shoot over 35. Just find one that you find comfortable to shoot and that will have dimensions that suit your hunting situation. Some bows will outlast others, but anyone I know who owns one fires less than 5 shots a year so that doesn't really come in to play that often.

Thanks for all that @anonymoose...its going to be really awkward trying to shoot archery...I think for starters I want to handle a nice fitting crossbow..the one i got is a brand new excalibre Phoenix...don't like it at all..so I will be checking out alot of archery equipment come January..
I will be suprised if the fit feels right..I might just walk away or make a big investment..
if i do then comes all the work to get precision shooting with an arrow..

Just to mention I have my really nice fully equiped cabin booked again for 15 days..excellent location with my own lake and its quiet other then the call of the loons.. I specifically hunt ontario spring black bear way up in 19 and fish brook trout & pickeral...it is awsome..an older couple own the cabin..there really good to me..I get to use the chainsaw and the boat..and the lady asks $250 for a week..I just take my quad and an outboard motor so no towing on my road trip 14 hour..
I also have made over the years some really good friends huntin & fishin..plus the local butcher hunts & fishes and he does a great job cut&wrapped and pick it up frozen on the way home..he also owns a camp on another excellent spot he asked me to stay .. I have yet to stay there..I have moved around stayin at a few different camps ..all have been good
ya its also a great time running are quads and huntin and fishin..my best buddy is nick named the mad trapper..lol .another french canadian that knows the bush..like no other..and can he hunt trap and fish..and we get along great..
I run my quad & meet up at his trapper shack.. we head out on old forestry roads way back in over countless beaver dams and lots of kms of remote moose country...we have one big specific area where we see the bear & also the wolf..what a rush when its close..
will take one day and fish..another day I fill up his side by side with fuel and will go 100 K plus..and wow we get through some inpassable beaver dams..
I know he will help get me in close with archery...he will drag a stink bait on a string right to me...lol..

anyway you spend enough time way up in the bush..you will find your piece of heaven..

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks