Looking for Advice - Blown Motor

Bassboy19

Hey folks, looking for any advice or input you can provide - I got the dreaded call from the mechanic that my 99 Wilker Galaxie needs a new motor. Number 2 piston is totally gone, he figures from water damage. The number he gave me for a new motor, as most would imagine, was way more than I paid for the boat. He said he might be able to salvage what is left in there to possibly repair for about $3-4k. Just wondering if anyone has any experience and can let me know what you would do in my situation. I have, I figure conservatively, $7-9k in kicker motor/controls, downriggers, electronics, rod holders and tracks, and trolling gear to sell if the boat has to go, so it is not a total loss. But I don't see any boats for 8-10k that would come close to what I have now. Feel free to pm me with any wisdom if you care to share. Thanks!

I know where there is a 3.0l omc sitting. It was running, not re how long ago. Not sure if the bolt up to the merc drive.

Boats are worth way more now than possibly when you bought it. Need to assess the repair cost with the current value. It may just be worth it.

This is why I prefer outboards. Replacing an outboard is much simpler.

Depending on the extent of damage, and year/model of engine it may not be catastrophic or a lost cause. If you have some experience with wrenches and some patients even better.
Lots of parts available and rebuilds are far more economical

I own an 89 Wilker as well. If your boat is sound structurally - repair or replace the motor! Solid Lake Erie boat - you will not find a similar boat unless you are looking to part with a boat load of cash - NO PUN INTENDED. If your floor is solid and structure is sound - you can't go wrong. Just my two cents - but - even if you were looking at $6,000 for a motor - $6,000 won't by much boat.

My boat is with James at Marine One as a matter of fact. He’s going to give it a better look in a month when he has time to dig into it after the spring rush. We will see what he comes up with. Going to be a long wait and I just don’t know what makes sense to do with it.

Further to my suggestion about fixing or replacing your motor - if your boat is sound. I have seen Wilkers listed now and then on Marketplace and or Kijiji. Not that you want to chase down an old boat load of problems but if you could snag an old boat with a good motor - might be worth considering. I don't know what kind of shape your boat is in - but - I know my 89 is in fine shape - and for what I have in to it - I would NEVER even come within a sniff of finding a similar for boat for the money.

At the price of fuel these days, the money you save by not being able to go out should just about pay for the rebuilt motor, 🤪 The gas station is now on par with the annual physical as top butt clenching moments - and it happens waaaaay more frequently

Not sure if this will help and I don't mean to hi-jack your post but I know of a StarCraft Islander with a 140 HP / Merc outdrive sitting on a tandem trailer that can be had for a very reasonable price .

Call Proctor Marine in Simcoe... I believe they have a used and a new one in stock...

I went through this in 2019 with my 3L mercury. They are popular for cracks in the block. under neath the intake manifold just below the head.
I found this was the cheapest engine and parts place just about 1/12 drive from Sarnia. Even with the rate of exchange it was the best deal.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks