Looking at a boat - would like opinions.

I am looking for something similar to yours or a walleye boat 17.5 feet to 21 feet is the desired length. Glass or aluminum must have a bow casting deck, as I do enjoy fishing bass. The Lund discussed in this thread would be an excellent choice.
Am absolutely NOT interested in an I/O, must be outboard.

You will maybe get what you describe in a mid to late 80's aluminum boat for 7 to 9 K , maybe Albert. Some may disagree, especially buyers. Mine is a 19' StarCraft deep V hull with a 115 Mariner, 1995 and with trailer had an insurance appraisal last fall with some new electronics and recent upgrades like a 15HP kicker came in at $16,900. 55 K to replace new. I wouldn't expect to get that in todays market though. I've personally added over $4500.00 in upgrades since I bought it 6 years ago. A 95's engine and hull may be fine but there are things that only last 20 years, like steering cables, new riggers, new 24V hood ornament (elec troller) kicker, planner mast and GPS combos and tires and, and, and. Man it adds up, forgot 3 new batteries and on board charger.

I was at Proctors recently and they had a aluminum boat in great shape that is 17 feet, 115 newer ETEC and a 1995 with an undersized trailer in my opinion for 12 or 14 K if I remember right. Might have been a Smoker Craft. 17 is a huge difference from a 19, especially on big water like Erie. You will blown off the water many weekends. Not bad if retired as one can pick their days.

I think you might be shopping for a while. There's a deal out there for sure but to find it is the hard work. Good luck man.

It is a SmokerCraft Albert and it is $13,900.00 and a 95' and 16'. They say size doesn't matter though. Last fall when I got the appraisal from the insurance rep a pal said man maybe you should think about selling. If I sold then what am I going to buy for that money, some boat that I know nothing about?

http://proctormarine.com/scart.php?sar=0LDmh4wGGoyuhwvr8tG8

The other thing come to think of it is that was the only used boat for sale at he dealership. They always have at least 3 or 4 used for sale. Maybe we are in a sellers market. No even 1 brokered boat for sale.

Last edited:
I know of 2 boats right now..one is a 1989 19' Starcraft Islander $8000

10358560_10155492025560627_6640795271597990405_n.jpg

The other is a friends 18' glass center console with a rebuilt Evinrude 150..all late 80s I think. Very clean.

The used 16-19' aluminum multi-species are like gold. I sold my 1988 Starcraft SF in 2003 for just a bit less than I bought it for..although I had also done upgrades. I think a lot of fishermen want the versatility of a rig that can have them fishing Lake Erie eyes today, Lake St.Clair smallies tomorrow, salmon next week...in a trailer-able package. I went to Montreal to pick up my Lund Alaskan--they're like hens teeth--but it was well worth the ride.

Thanks for the tips gentlemen! Is the Islander an I/O?

There is a similar StarCraft out here in a barn on RR3 outside of Selkirk Albert. I can inquire if you want. It is an I/O and the bow is closed like the StarCraft above, it has been for sale for a few years now, they were asking 7K 3 years ago. What is the reason for your choice to have an outboard only? Both have their pro's and con's.

More deck space, easier to service, and MUCH easier to repower if necessary.

@HTHM, yes all valid points. I as well am in your camp unless a boat over X feet. Then I guess pairing a few 300's would be nice.

Unfortunately no, it is an I/O and not the style I am looking for. It is a great deal for the right person though.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks