Long Point Bay - Perch Quetion

Fisher Price

I have been a long time fisherman in the long point area.

Typically I will fish for perch at Pottahawk area in the spring, North shore through the summer and the inner bay late fall. In all cases weeds or some general structure is present.

Also note: In all these locations we are less than 20' FOW.

Second note: We have pulled a few perch while downrigging in up to 100 FOW while rigging off of the lighthouse.

Seeing the numberous posts from the open lake side...people fish for perchin 30' to 45' of water..(with no structure)... has anyone ever targeted perch in the outer bay in the 30' to 45' range????

I will say that on the odd occation we have picked up a monster perch while downrigging out by the lighthouse.

Just food for thought.

Fisher-Price

Nathan...a couple of years ago (spring 2011) Kurt Oldenburg (MNR biologist) made a presentation at the LPBAA Annual Meeting and he indicated that perch were increasingly feeding in offshore waters. He said the index netting surveys showed significant numbers in around the Elbow area in late summer 2010. The issue is spending the time, energy and fuel to locate them. It's much easier and more certain to head to Port Burwell and if neccessary travel east to waters off Hastings than attempting to find them here. Currently there are or were lots of perch immediately east of the harbour in Burwell out in 42-46 fow. The Elbow area is 9-10 miles from the Port Dover Harbour Marina and probably further from others. The chances of one boat locating them is not good even if they are there again this year.

Thanks for the input Duck Soup.

I think I will bring along some minnows on my next veture to the elbow area. As you suggested it is most likly a shot in the dark to find them. But hey, it doesn't cost anything to drift along for a hour on the way in.

I didn't realize the perch were so tightly schooled up in specific areas.....on the open lake side as you suggested. I figured they would be in numberous schools at general depth contours.

Thanks again.

Fisher-Price

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks