Long Point Bass Opener

Rex

Just wanted to start a thread, the usual gang and I will be out on Saturday bright and early.

Camp sites this year were booked a year in advance as soon as they opened up. Sounds like it's going to be another city on the water.

Should be a bit of a different year this year due to the weather.
We typically are a leech fishing team, however last year with a drift net I found it was the perfect speed for a rattler or a spinner. Which out-fished the leech 10-1.

Year before was a bit odd as well, seemed all the fish were in the cloudy muddy water, but all the boats were fishing in the clear water. Millionaires was packed with boats, but not many fish were caught. Funny how everyone seems to head for a pack of boats, fishing is a logical sport, if one thing isn't working change, use your brain.

Is everyone signing up for the tourney? I've never been in a tourney before, thought this might be an easy beginner's try. Last year we had some 4lb fish apparently had we bought a ticket we would have done very well....

See everyone on the water!!

Enjoy your time out there, i know i will. I do have a ticket just in case! Was successfull ( 2nd a few years back on a smallie). I use mainly hard body baits got a few that erie bass love!! A second pole rigged with a soft plastic takes the missed fish.

My dad and I should be out on the water by 4:30am dragging tube jigs and casting crank baits, I probably won't be able to sleep on Friday too excited.

It's a great derby for beginners as well as "seasoned" anglers. This derby has been running on opening day for years and I have never heard anyone say they were sorry they bought a ticket. If you happen to get into a good fish then there are some decent prizes including the top prize of $1000 for the largest of each smallmouth and largemouth and if all you catch is a good meal the draw prize of a boat motor an trailer is nothing to sneeze at.

If all you get is a good day on the water with friends you can also be happy knowing that any profit from the derby goes to support local projects of the Fish & Game club.

A lot of upside for $10. which is not much more than any of the crankbaits in your tackle box.

(And yes I am a member of the club.)

Thanks B-3, I'll be a supporter for sure. I challenge anyone to find a crank bait for $10 anymore, they're $15+ depending on brand. My bass tackle box is full of baits I've picked up at local estate sales. Typically less than $1 a piece really helps with our expensive hobby. Speaking of which, if I come across any tackle, does the club take donations? Ie if I found something easily converted that could be lent out or sold?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks