Fishing Report Long day on the pier CO visit

Trevor M

The boss lady is going out with her mother tomorrow, so told me I could go fishin today if I wanted too. (no, I NEVER wanna go fishin once I've come out of hibernation;):LOL:) As usual, she didn't have to tell me twice.

Got up before the alarm, was at the pier at 5:35am this morning. Spent the first half hour catching my own minnows, and some for a couple other guys who showed up shortly after I did. We weren't the first ones there, but close to it.

Got my line in the water at 6:10, then played the waiting game for a little over an hour. While waiting, I went and politely let the 6 Arab gentlemen who were using 2 and 3 rods each know that it was illegal and that only 1 was permitted from shore, which included the pier. They understood me, but ignored me. About an hour and a half later, CO showed up and nailed two of the 6 who he personally saw with more than one rod in use, and for not having a license. The other 4 got warnings as he was obstructed from actually seeing them with more than one rod in use, but as they each had more than one rod set up, and the "extra rods" were sitting on the pier and baited, he correctly guessed they had seen him coming and hauled ass to get them out before he could catch'em. He checked everyone's license and then made sure all 6 of them knew 1 rod only, they nodded they understood him in acknowledgement. Two hours after he left, they all were using more than one rod again. They left a couple hours later with what looked to be about 35-40 white perch. They were using worms. LOTS of people using worms were catching lots of white perch for most of the morning and sporadically in the afternoon.

How'd I do? BETTER...depending on how you look at it..;)

Today I caught:
1 Sheephead
2 White Perch (1 went back the other I gave to an oriental gentleman who had 3 of his own.)
and 13 yellows came for a car ride with me at the end of the day (all about the same size as last week and the week before, no real big jumbos yet) They're cleaned, vac sealed and in the freezer now.:)

Glad I wasn't there, pretty sure some rods and maybe some Arabs would've ended up in the water.

Yes, because a few guys using too many rods on such an enormous lake sure justifies the risk of being charged, beat and/or put in a hospital.

Have you “handled” many men from the Middle East? They carry knives more often than not and don’t exactly play nice like most Canadians. A couple dicey experiences have me avoiding these people at all costs now.

If you’re angry about this, how might the thousands of pounds of by catch dumped back into the lake each year make ya feel? Gonna go at the commercial fishermen too?

Back