London Police- Shooting a deer

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
See the video http://www.lfpress.com/2013/02/04/london-police-take-three-point-blank-shots-with-shotgun-to-euthanize-injured-deer

caution_zps2133a180.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by stomp

Hockey stick (in the right hands) might have been quicker...

:D:D Like it!!!

Stomp, the week of Feb 19th, I'll be giving a daily report from the Bay of Quinte ice fishing for some Walleye.

Jim

caution_zps2133a180.jpg

And they are worried about ME having a gun....wow.

quote:
:D:D Like it!!!

Stomp, the week of Feb 19th, I'll be giving a daily report from the Bay of Quinte ice fishing for some Walleye.

Jim

caution_zps2133a180.jpg

Good luck up there Jim!

What's the big deal,officer helpin the animal out of its misery. Worked in a slaughter house way back. Watched a hundred head of cow/veal go up on the hooks a day. Those kids who are not men,can go back to eating their lettuce salad,vegetarian sucks. Farmers feed familys.

I've seen deer take more then 3 shots to die before. Even a perfect heart / lung shot, some deer will still run 40-60yds before dropping. Deer are very tough animals! There is nothing different about this!

quote:
Originally posted by Jwalsh

I've seen deer take more then 3 shots to die before. Even a perfect heart / lung shot, some deer will still run 40-60yds before dropping. Deer are very tough animals! There is nothing different about this!

the huge difference is this guy is only a couple feet away from the deer and a head shot would have ended it instantly. it's common for farmers to use a .22 LR to dispatch cows, yet this fool couldn't even get the job done quickly with a 12 gauge!?

3 point blank shots to finish off a wounded deer is pathetic, hence the flak this guy is receiving on a few hunting/firearms forums. ;)

Before the anti hunting fraternity or cop bashers start their usual rhetoric lets take a deep breath. No sane person one wants to see an animal suffer but the police and the MNR explained why it was necessary to use the shotgun. You have to realize they are in the city of London so you can’t use high powered rifles, hand guns or even slugs in the shotgun. Any of these methods would have dispatched the deer easily but could not be used because they will penetrate through and could easily ricochet hitting someone. The London Police do not have tranquilizers and are not trained to use them so that was entirely out of the question. Therefore they only did what had to be done under the circumstances considering it’s their duty first and foremost to protect the public. Anyone who hunts knows an injured deer can easily seriously injure or even kill a person that comes within reach of it. However if I had to dispatch a deer using a shotgun I would have reached out putting the barrel up against it’s ear then a single shot would instantly have put it out of it’s misery. This policeman was apparently unaware of this being the case or feared getting to close so we need to cut him some slack. It’s definitely difficult trying to penetrate the scull on a deer even at close range with 3 shots because in certain instances the scull can even deflect rifle bullets. I don’t think he relished the job he was unfortunate enough to be assigned to either and remember it’s not a daily occurrence on his beat where he has to dispatch a deer in the middle of the city of London. Their job is already tough, dangerous and thankless enough that they don’t need more verbal heaped upon them by these whining zealots.

Maybe it’s just my opinion, maybe you share it or maybe you don’t, but your entitled to it and so am I. I have hunted and fished all my life so this sort of rhetoric makes my blood boil.

quote:
Originally posted by wallywalleye

Before the anti hunting fraternity or cop bashers start their usual rhetoric lets take a deep breath. No sane person one wants to see an animal suffer but the police and the MNR explained why it was necessary to use the shotgun. You have to realize they are in the city of London so you can’t use high powered rifles, hand guns or even slugs in the shotgun. Any of these methods would have dispatched the deer easily but could not be used because they will penetrate through and could easily ricochet hitting someone. The London Police do not have tranquilizers and are not trained to use them so that was entirely out of the question. Therefore they only did what had to be done under the circumstances considering it’s their duty first and foremost to protect the public. Anyone who hunts knows an injured deer can easily seriously injure or even kill a person that comes within reach of it. However if I had to dispatch a deer using a shotgun I would have reached out putting the barrel up against it’s ear then a single shot would instantly have put it out of it’s misery. This policeman was apparently unaware of this being the case or feared getting to close so we need to cut him some slack. It’s definitely difficult trying to penetrate the scull on a deer even at close range with 3 shots because in certain instances the scull can even deflect rifle bullets. I don’t think he relished the job he was unfortunate enough to be assigned to either and remember it’s not a daily occurrence on his beat where he has to dispatch a deer in the middle of the city of London. Their job is already tough, dangerous and thankless enough that they don’t need more verbal heaped upon them by these whining zealots.

Maybe it’s just my opinion, maybe you share it or maybe you don’t, but your entitled to it and so am I. I have hunted and fished all my life so this sort of rhetoric makes my blood boil.

Agree with you on that. Too easy to be critical when it's not your job. Raised cattle for years and hunted for years, death is never a nice easy thing no matter what circumstances.

quote:
Originally posted by wallywalleye

their shotguns are loaded with buckshot, which is 100% capable of penetrating any deer's skull. one of the first deer i shot was finished with a 12 gauge from a few feet with 00 buck and there wasn't much left of her head. considering what even #6 birdshot does to a coyotes head at 5 yards, any load the cop was using would have ended it with one shot to the skull.

less chance of a ricochet with one good shot rather than 3 poor.;)

maybe he accidentally loaded up with less lethal rubber shells? :D

who got the free jerky meat? :p

just showed one of my police friends who works in london,and he told me they use slugs in the shotguns. one barrel stuck between the eyes and it would have been game over.

Blastr

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks