Lighthouse..slow..

Landlocked

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Spent three hours trolling both sides of lighthouse this morning with my son , one bite, one fish, 60fow on 7 colour, greasy chicken wing spoon . Screen was lit up all morning with what I assume was baitfish, hard to compete with that ?! Anybody else having any success out there?

Attachments

• 48DB56B4-7C94-40CA-B1D3-754C837D70D4.jpeg
    48DB56B4-7C94-40CA-B1D3-754C837D70D4.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 33
Spent three hours trolling both sides of lighthouse this morning with my son , one bite, one fish, 60fow on 7 colour, greasy chicken wing spoon . Screen was lit up all morning with what I assume was baitfish, hard to compete with that ?! Anybody else having any success out there?
I am wondering if Old School drifting with Erie Deries or worm harness is the way to go. They worked great when the prime bait fish was smelt.

I am wondering if Old School drifting with Erie Deries or worm harness is the way to go. They worked great when the prime bait fish was smelt.
Funny you say that , we were wishing we had some rods rigged up that way, might just give it a shot next time!

411 has some great videos of their approach to finicky Walleye. I am a bottom drifter by heart only bought all the trolling gear to give it a try. We used to inject air into the dew worm collars and make them neutral buoyant on tough days fishing pressured fish. Worked well for us back before the electronics took over the way people fish.

Nope it’s bone dry out there

Sometimes a slower presentation is all it takes. When trolling Erie my speed in turns and sometimes on a straight will vary. I like to occasionally speed up as fast as 4m mph when I'm on a steady pattern of marking then drop it down to 1.5 then up to 3 then down to 2 to 2.5. 9 times out of 10 it triggers a strike. Never be afraid of too fast too slow I've triggered walleye up to 3.5. I grew up fishing Lake St Clair with Erie Deries and was taught to occasionally grab the rod and give it a quick pull forward every now and then, then let it fall back and most times when I knew there were fish below a rod would go off. I use the same tactics on Erie with every presentation other then anything on riggers with great success.

We were skunked as well yesterday. Lots of marks and bait balls in 40-90fow, washed a lot of spoons at various depths on leadcore and divers but no hits.

Thanks for the report Landlocked. Successfully fished Burwell yesterday after two unsuccessful attempts at the Lighthouse. We didn't have much luck there last year but historically it's been a great spot.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks