Off Topic Leaking oil cooler.

Way She Goes

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Has anybody ever tried to soldering a small leak in the cap of a power steering oil cooler. Right on the back of the engine, had to take the back of the boat inside compartment off to get at in my 87 thundercraft Magnum 190. Got it off was going to try it. But have to wait till the stores open to get some gas for the torch.
Good thing I put the ears on before dragging it to the lake.

Attachments

• PXL_20210524_152330667.jpg
    PXL_20210524_152330667.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 108
  • PXL_20210524_193339602.jpg
    PXL_20210524_193339602.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 104
Has anybody ever tried to soldering a small leak in the cap of a power steering oil cooler. Right on the back of the engine, had to take the back of the boat inside compartment off to get at in my 87 thundercraft Magnum 190. Got it off was going to try it. But have to wait till the stores open to get some gas for the torch.
Good thing I put the ears on before dragging it to the lake.
Had the same issue on what looks like the exact same cooler a few years back.

is it off an OMC?

I sanded and cleaned it up real good , hit it with lots of solder paste, soldered it up and never had a problem.

i was lucky the next year and picked up a used cooler , so have the soldered one for a spare.

I try and make sure I get antifreeze in all of the lines from the stat housing when i winterize now. The line my cooler is on dumps antifreeze on the ground , but replaces the bit of water that stays in the cooler, preventing it from splitting again hopefully...

It is an OMC. I am going to solder to try it, and pressure test. Thanks @doubletime . I always use antifreeze but must not have put enough in this year.

call Gary Laur in Aylmer He owns the Aylmer Rad shop. he will be able to give you anything you need or do it himself. I worked there 25 years ago. He is a good guy

I like JB Weld as my soldering skills suck . LoL ! If you go HOT keep a fire extinguisher nearby or cover parts with wet rags ... just in case ?

Duh ! Just looked at the photos close up , thought you were working inside the boat. However you attempt to fix it ......... safety first !

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks